Chapter 1: Account Creation

I was sitting in Ms. Fujimura's office for my weekly therapy appointment. I still don't see the point in these since nothing has changed much, even with moving to Den City. Not that I would complain, she just wants to help. I just don't know if I can be helped anymore.

Ms. Fujimura: It was nice to see you today, Riku.

Riku: Thank you.

Ms. Fujimura: How has school been?
Riku: Same as usual, I guess.

Ms. Fujimura: Have you made any friends?
Riku: No, I haven't.

Ms. Fujimura: You could try reaching out about your interests in music. Share your guitar hobby with other students maybe?

Riku: Maybe... I just. I don't know if I can..

She frowned and sighed a bit. I guess I need to be more detailed about relaying my experiences to my therapist. But with how I avoided others and never really cared to try anything new I never had anything to talk about.

Ms. Fujimura: Riku, I know what happened deeply traumatized you. But you can't let it stop your growth as a person.
Riku: I know. But that's easier said than done.

Ms. Fujimura: Have you heard of Link VRAINS?

Riku: Vaguely but yes. Why?
Ms. Fujimura: I suppose a little exposure therapy could help you in accepting the past and its events. If you dueled in Link VRAINS you could get past your hangup on dueling from back then.

A memory flashed through my head of my trauma from dueling. Making any mistake costing me my meals for the day. Getting electrocuted so harshly that I would pass out from the pain. My body started trembling and I broke into a cold sweat.

Ms. Fujimura: If you can just log into Link VRAINS and let me know what happens next time we meet I think it would help.

Riku: I-If you say so. I'll look into it.

Ms. Fujimura: Thank you, Riku. I know socializing is scary for you. But you can get past this. I know it.

Riku: I'll try.

Ms. Fujimura: Thank you. I have to go for a meeting but I look forward to hearing about your trip through Link VRAINS.

Riku: I'll tell you how it goes.

I stood up and headed to the door.

Riku: Thank you for trying and helping me.

Ms. Fujimura: No problem. I'll see you in a few days.

Riku: Yeah.

I walked out and confirmed my next appointment. Afterward I walked down the street and looked around. In the city square there was a TV the size of a building showing 2 people dueling. I had nothing better to do so I figured I'd look and see who's dueling. I walked to a hot dog stand to get lunch. The guy working the grill saw me watching.

Hot Dog Guy: You a dueling fan?

I turned to look at him.

Riku: I was when I was younger. Are those 2 pros?
Hot Dog Guy: Yea, one of them is the king of Link VRAINS, Go Onizuka.

Riku: He's the king?

Hot Dog Guy: Yep.
Riku: His strategy alone is too easy to figure out. Besides he clearly seems to be intentionally losing so he can show a flashy win. It's underestimating an opponent which is incredibly insulting.

Hot Dog Guy: Think you could take him?
Riku: If needed I could, but I don't need to so there's no point thinking about it.

The hot dog worker smiled for some reason.