Chapter 26: Christmas Event

After some time thinking about a gift for Aoi, I finally decided on something. It's a little cheesy but I hope she likes it. And if she doesn't...

Lightning: You're overthinking again.

Riku: Huh?
Lightning: That look on your face. I've seen it multiple times, and every time it's when you're picturing the worst case scenario and expecting it.

Riku: How you know me so well is almost concerning at this point.

Lightning: Is it unpleasant?

Riku: Honestly? No. It's just strange having someone who knows me so well like you do.

Lightning: You say 'someone' as if I were human.

Riku: Does it matter?

Lightning was surprised to hear my response. He even seemed to be speechless for a moment.

Lightning: I suppose not. Back to the main topic, you shouldn't worry.

Riku: But what if-

Lightning: Approach that possibility if it happens. There are many possible outcomes. Only focusing on one is foolish.

I took a deep breath. Lightning's right, I just need to give Aoi my gift and proceed accordingly.

Riku: You're right.

Lightning: Did that help?

Riku: It did. Thank you.

Lightning: It is nothing. We should be prepared to raid the SOL database by new years. I discovered a momentary blindspot that only occurs when it transitions from December 31st to January 1st. This being our best time to secure our route.

Riku: Getting it at that exact moment will be tricky.

Lightning: With Ai helping me with a timer, we will be more prepared than you may think.

I grabbed Aoi's present and got my coat on.

Riku: I'm going to visit Aoi. If you need anything, text my phone from a known contact number like Yusaku's or Kusanagi's. Don't make it obvious just in case Aoi or Akira see it.

Lightning: Understood.

Riku: See ya.

I left, not knowing Lightning started thinking out loud

Lightning: Perhaps this is what Kusanagi and Ai wish to see for their 'entertainment.'

The duel disk Lightning was standing on started to glow on the screen.

The walk to Aoi's building was a lot quieter than usual. The streets are empty. People must be at home with their families for Christmas.

FLASHBACK

I remember opening my Christmas presents on the last Christmas I had with Mom and Dad. They went all out for me to be happy and for us to be together.

Young Riku: How did you find this plushie?! It's perfect!

Mom: We had to look around for it a bit.

Dad: But seeing you so happy with it was worth the time.

Young Riku: Thank you!

We were so happy together. I was so happy. That unconditional love from family. Thinking about it is so bittersweet. It's nice to remember the feeling. But it stings knowing I may never feel it again.

FLASHBACK END

I finally made it to Aoi and Akira's building. Here we go. No turning back now. I made it up and saw them waiting in their pajamas. They turned to me and smiled.