Chapter 16: Memory Rollback

The alarm on my phone woke me up when the morning started. It'd been so long since I got a full night of sleep.

Riku: Wait. Wasn't I just finishing my duel with Revolver?

I remember winning, but before I could collect the program to wake up Aoi, I think I passed out. I need to make sure Aoi's ok. I got out of bed and got dressed for school before running out the door. I'm not late, but I need to see her myself.

School was about to start but Aoi still hasn't shown up. I was waiting at the front gate to the school. Please be ok...

She tries to help me find a future in this broken pile I call a life. Yusaku and Kusanagi are helping me find closure in this fight against the Knights of Hanoi. After that, I might be able to call them real friends. But if they disappear from my life. Then I have no right to make them my friends. But Aoi seems to want to help me find something to enjoy in life.

That anyone would care enough to make me happy. Hasn't happened since Mom and Dad...

Aoi: Riku?

I came back to my senses from that thought when I realized Aoi was looking me in the eyes. I twitched for a moment and sighed.

Riku: Hey. Sorry I zoned out. Why were you so close to being late today?

Aoi: My brother wanted me to stay home, but...

She paused for a moment and looked away. Wait, is her face turning red? I don't think it's that cold outside, so what's the problem?

Aoi: I wanted to make sure you were ok...

As soon as she said that, I felt my chest tightening up again. My heartbeat's speeding up again. This keeps happening when we're alone. But, is it a problem?

Riku: I'm fine.

Aoi: my brother said you passed out after your duel. Speaking of which...

Her expression changed and she suddenly started pulling on my ear out of nowhere.

Riku: Ow! Why?! That hurts!

She started pouting and didn't ease up.

Aoi: What were you thinking? Challenging the leader of the Knights of Hanoi out of nowhere... You managed somehow but if you didn't... You would've been hurt too. So, tell me. Why did you do it?

She let go and I regained my composure. I had to think about it for a moment. The obvious answer probably wouldn't cut it. But, besides my personal hate for Revolver and his knights... Why was I fighting?

I thought back to the duel. Something else was fueling me. I wanted to destroy Revolver no matter what it might've cost me. I remember hearing some kind of voice that reminded me of my parents. But, even then I think it was because of what they did to Aoi. And made me watch the duel between her and Yusaku. The sadism and overconfidence... It infuriated me.

Riku: If I had to pin down one reason. It would be because...

My head started heating up and I found it tough to look her in the eyes, but if I look away it would seem insincere.

Riku: They showed me your duel with Playmaker, and seeing what happened to you... I lost my cool.

Aoi: You... You did that for me?

Riku: Yeah. You put the time and effort to help me enjoy life and try to overcome my trauma. So I thought that I owed you at least that much to try and beat Revolver.

Aoi seems to be flustered. Wait... Shit! This situation... The sudden change in attitude. The flushed face and shyness... Is she actually considering the possibility that I'm romantically attached to her? First Kusanagi and Ai and now Aoi has this idea in her head too?! What do I even do about it?