Chapter 27: A Test

It's been 2 days since I last saw Aoi on Christmas. I haven't gotten any calls or messages from her. It's making me nervous with how long she's been quiet. Was confessing the right thing to do or did I ruin what I had? I sighed, knowing I'm overthinking again.

Lightning: It seems that the program to get into SOL Technologies is prepared ahead of schedule.

Riku: That's good. We should still stick to the original date to make the use of that weak point you found.

Lightning: Indeed. Onto other things.

Riku: Such as?

Lightning: I can tell you're assuming the worst possible scenario.

Riku: Is that obvious?

Lightning: Quite. You have no reason to assume the worst.

Riku: I know. I need to distract myself for a bit.

Lightning: That would most likely be best.

I stood up and got my shoes and coat on.

Lightning: Where are you going?

Riku: To visit my parents' graves.

Lightning: I see.

Riku: I'm bringing the duel disk just in case. Feel free to go back to the others if you want.

Lightning: Very well. I shall stay with you for now, however.

Riku: That's fine.

I took the duel disk to visit Mom and Dad. I sat down in front of the tombstone.

Riku: Hey, Mom and Dad. Sorry it's been a bit. I had other things to deal with. I got on the school football team. Thanks for teaching me football, Dad.

I spent a few hours there. I noticed the sun going down and stood back up.

Riku: I should probably head home. I'll come back sometime soon, I promise.

I left the cemetery and walked home, but got a call from Akira.

Riku: Akira? Is everything ok?

Akira: I should be asking you that.

Riku: What do you mean?

Akira: Since you were with us, Aoi has been zoning out so much and says she's trying to figure something out. Care to share anything you may know?

Riku: How would I know?

Akira: Because you're closer to her than any of her friends.

I sighed.

Riku: I... I confessed to her on Christmas.

Akira: What did she say?

Riku: I left before letting her answer.

Akira: I see. She's definitely trying to figure out how to respond.

Riku: I see. I'm sorry if that's become a problem for you.

Akira: There's no problem. But I do need you to head to the SOL Technologies office.

Riku: Why?

Akira: If you're going to protect SOL's data, we need to test your dueling skill. I know you can do it, but it's procedure.

Riku: It's fine, I understand. I'll head over.

Akira: Thank you.

I grabbed my stuff and texted Yusaku what's going on just in case.

Akira, however, texted Aoi to also visit SOL's building without telling Riku.

I showed up at SOL and checked in to visit Akira. I was lead to a room with a dueling arena.

Riku: Dueling here? Not in Link VRAINS?

Akira: We're working on enhancing real life duels as a side project.

Riku: I see.

Akira: One moment, I'll have your opponent here shortly.

Riku: Ok.

Akira left the room.

Aoi POV

I showed up at big brother's office and was lead to a viewing room with what I guess is a one way mirror. Through it, I saw Riku and was surprised.

Aoi: Riku?

Big brother walked in.

Akira: I heard about the confession.

I blushed bright red. I still don't know what to tell him. I don't even know how I feel.

Akira: I have no objections however you choose to respond. I just ask you to watch and try not to interrupt. Ok?

Aoi: Ok.

Akira: Thank you.

He went back to the room with Riku and they started talking.

Riku: So I guess you're my opponent?

Akira: Yes. If you defeat me, we can trust you to guard SOL's data. And as a bonus for motivation, I'll also grant you my blessing to date Aoi, if you win.

Riku: Your blessing?

He was blushing very obviously.

Riku: Fine.

Akira: Good. Let's start.

They activated their duel disks.

Akira/Riku: Duel!

Akira: I'll start.

Akira POV

Riku, you're a good kid. Forgive me for the lie, but I never had any problem with you dating Aoi. But, I need you to show what it means for you to win, so you both can understand each other properly. That being said, I won't go easy on you. I need you to try your best and prove what Aoi means to you so we can all understand and be happy.

You might think you don't deserve happiness. But you do, and we'll show you that.

Akira: I set one monster facedown. And when I do, I activate the effect of Tindangle Base Gardna from my hand. While I have a set monster I can special summon this monster facedown. I set one card facedown and end my turn. Now show me what you can do, Riku.

Riku: Right...

Riku POV

I don't see why Akira added the extra prize to this duel. But, I can't let this opportunity slip away.

If I can win his approval here, I'll do it.

Riku: My turn, I draw!

Because if I fail, I don't think I'll get the chance again...