Chapter 4: Lunch Break

After the nightmare I had last night I couldn't go back to sleep. I had bags under my eyes as I went to class. However, I couldn't stay awake. I had a dream that was different from the nightmares.

I was in the white room, but there was no screen, no headset, just the room. Before I could do anything, the light became blindingly bright and I woke up. I looked around and saw everyone was gone, I sighed and headed to my next class. On the way, I saw Zaizen again. She seemed to notice my eye bags.

Zaizen: Kanashimiki, are you ok? You look so tired.

Riku: I'm fine. I just had trouble sleeping.

Zaizen: Oh. Well you should try to rest more tonight. It's not good for you to be up all the time.

Riku: I will. No need to worry.

Zaizen: Worry?

Her face turned light red. Did I say something wrong? She cleared her throat and spoke up again.

Zaizen: Anyways, the duel club will be meeting today, if you want to join us.

Riku: Yeah, I'll be there.

Zaizen: Ok then.

She started to walk past me. I remembered Ms. Fujimura's advice on making friends and how it's important for mental health, I sighed and turned to Zaizen.

Riku: Wait, Zaizen.

Zaizen: Is something wrong?

Riku: No but... Would you like to have lunch today? Or something?

Her face seemed to turn red again before she responded. Is she getting sick? Her face is turning red alot.

Zaizen: Sure. Would the fountain outside be a good spot?

Riku: Sure. I'll see you there.

I wasn't sure but I thought I saw her smile a little and it threw me off guard for a moment. She nodded.

Zaizen: I'll see you then, Kanashimiki.

She walked off around the corner and I stood there for a moment. That felt weird, is this how people normally socialize? Was that feeling normal?

Aoi POV

After going around the corner of the hall and out of earshot of Kanashimiki I leaned against the wall and started blushing. No one really tries to hang out with me without asking for something first, so is he genuinely trying to get to know me? My head started heating up and some other students passed by and whispered about me.

Student 1: What's with Zaizen? Is she ok?

Student 2: I heard that new transfer student stood up for her, so maybe she's thinking about him or something.

Student 3: Really? I didn't expect someone quiet like her to go for him after what happened at his old school.

There it is again. Why does everyone know about what happened to him at his last school? Did someone start telling everyone? Why would they do that? There's too many questions I have, but it doesn't involve me so why should I get involved?

Flashback

Riku: If you're gonna keep commenting on someone without knowing them like that, I can go find a mud puddle for you to traffic through, you pig.

Flashback End

He defended me without needing to. I should do the same... But I need to know what happened first. I continued through my day until lunch, so I can try and ask Kanashimiki about what happened.