Chapter 28: Confirmation

Akira set a mystery monster facedown and special summoned something facedown as well. He's baiting me to attack while preparing his own moves for later.

Even with only my Raidraptors, I should be able to win. Dark Rebellion probably won't help until near the end of the duel. I don't have anything I can attack with at the moment, so I might as well set myself up for something next turn.

Riku: I summon Raidraptor Skull Eagle!

Aoi: A level 3 Raidraptor?

Riku: When all monsters I control are Raidraptors, I can special summon Raidraptor Heel Eagle from my hand. I'll special summon it in defense position.

Akira: A second level 3 Raidraptor...

Riku: I overlay the level 3 Raidraptor Skull Eagle and Heel Eagle! With these two monsters, I build the overlay network! Xyz summon! Come forth, rank 3, Raidraptor Fiend Eagle!

Akira: 1000 ATK on a rank 3?

Riku: When Skull Eagle is used as Xyz material, the monster it is attached to gains 300 ATK

Fiend Eagle: 1000 ATK <<<< 1300 ATK

Riku: Now I detach my Heel Eagle Material to use Fiend Eagle's effect! I target one special summoned monster on the field and deal damage to you equal to its ATK. I target Fiend Eagle, so now you take 1300 damage.

Akira: 4000 LP >>>> 2700 LP

Aoi: He dealt some damage without attacking. He's definitely cautious of Akira's facedown monsters.

Akira: Are you scared to attack? I can't allow a boy too scared to act be with Aoi.

Riku: That's not it.

Akira: Then what's the problem?

Riku: I want to attack and win your approval more than anything. But I won't let a hasty mistake rob me of my one hope at happiness.

Akira: Your one hope.

Aoi: Riku. You're trying to achieve happiness now. Do you believe you deserve to be happy now?

Riku: I set two cards facedown and end my turn.

Akira: My turn, draw. I tribute my two set monsters to set another monster facedown.

Even with Fiend Eagle so vulnerable and capable of dealing more damage without attacking he won't do something about it?

Akira: I set one card facedown and end my turn.

Riku: My turn, draw. I activate Fiend Eagle's effect. Detaching its last material, to deal damage equal to its ATK to you. However without Skull Eagle attached to it, my Eagle loses 300 ATK.

Fiend Eagle: 1300 ATK >>>> 1000 ATK

Aoi: It'll still deal 1000 points of damage and bring Akira down to 1700 life.

Fiend Eagle detached its material and damaged Akira.

Akira: 2700 LP >>>> 1700 LP

Akira: You brought me down this far. But you can't do any more damage through effects with Fiend Eagle. You'll have to push through and attack to win.

What is he thinking by telling me what I already know? I have to attack at some point. But without caution, I'll risk losing everything.

Riku: I switch Fiend Eagle to defense position. And the turn Skull Eagle is sent to the graveyard, I can banish it to add Heel Eagle back to my hand. I special summon Heel Eagle by its effect in defense position. I end my turn.