Chapter 20: Direct Approach

Aoi: Riku. Akira did the scan.

Riku: What did it show?

Aoi: There was an invasive force controlling cameras around the time you were heading to our building.

Riku: So Hanoi is most likely watching me...

Aoi: Yea, and it somehow was moving entirely from one camera to the next as you were walking. Apparently it was too strange and unknown to be deciphered so we don't even know if it is them...

Riku: Well who else would bother doing that?

For some reason, the golden city from my dream popped up in my head.

Aoi: You live alone and it wouldn't be safe, since you are being watched, so...

She hesitated to continue her sentence and started blushing.

Riku: So what?
Aoi: Would... Would you mind staying with Akira and I until we know you're safe?

Riku: ...

WHAT?! She wants me to stay with her?! One night was one thing, but indefinitely... I don't know what to think about that. If I make a single slip up at any time, Akira could discover who Yusaku and I are. Besides, I can only imagine how embarrassing that would be for Aoi. I can't accept it, no matter what.

She'll be worried about me, but she'll be safe. It's the only option.

Riku: I'm sorry, Aoi. Buy I can't endanger you and your brother more than I already have. With Hanoi watching me, I can't risk the safety of people I care about...

Aoi: But I care about you too. If you got captured again...

Riku: I won't. I got careless last time.

Aoi: How did you get caught in the first place?

Riku: A few thugs tried to scare me into going with them. I fought back and had one of them by the throat, but someone knocked me out when I wasn't looking.

Aoi: You had one by the throat?

Shit!

Riku: Yeah? What's up?

Aoi: ... What were you going to do if you weren't knocked out?

Riku: I had him hostage for information. If things got dicey...

I didn't finish my sentence, but I pulled the pocket knife in my pocket. Aoi saw it and looked shocked, which is fair given what I would've done with it.

Aoi: You were going to kill him?

Riku: I don't know.

Aoi: You don't know?

Riku: Too many thoughts were rushing my mind at once, if they got me, I was terrified of what would happen.

Aoi: Was it a PTSD panic attack?

Riku: For a moment, yes. But I was more scared of what outrageous demands they would make if they tried using my life as a bargaining chip or something.

Aoi: You were more worried about what your life being in danger would do to others?

Riku: Yeah.

Aoi: You really don't value your life do you?

Riku: Only for what answers I can get while I have it...

She looked horrified. I guess she sees how pointless it is to try and help me now.

Aoi: You idiot.

Riku: What?

Aoi started crying. And it stung deep to see her like this.