Chapter 18: Expanded Party

The walk to Aoi's apartment building was weird. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched. The security cameras I pass by all followed my movement. I confirmed this by stopping, and the cameras stopped moving. I took a step back and pretended to look back up the street. They followed my movement. Whoever's watching me isn't good at hiding it. Are the Knights of Hanoi watching me after beating Revolver?

These thoughts didn't ease up. If Hanoi is watching me, I could be in trouble. I got to Aoi's building and buzzed up to their floor. Akira greeted me with a smile.

Akira: Kanashimiki. You're almost perfectly on time.

Riku: I didn't want to be rude showing up late or too early.

Akira: Don't worry about it. Come in.

Akira let me in the apartment. I wonder if Akira is a good cook like Aoi.

Riku: Is Aoi around?

Akira: Aoi? You two use first names?

I blushed a bit. Fuck, not again.

Riku: She said she didn't mind, so I thought it would be easier.

Akira seemed to believe me. But something about his expression didn't seem right.

Akira: I see. She's in her room, probably finishing her homework. I'll go get her, feel free to sit down.

Akira gestured towards the couch before walking over to Aoi's room. Naturally, I sat down mentally prepared myself for what conversations we might be having. Aoi came out and greeted me.

Aoi: Hey, Riku.

Riku: Hey. How are you?

Aoi: I'm good. How are you?

Riku: Surviving.

She looked worried. To be fair, I need to say as little as possible while avoiding acting suspicious. It's not easy.

Akira: Dinner should be ready soon. Feel free to chat while I finish cooking.

Akira went to the kitchen and Aoi immediately started talking.

Aoi: Are you ok? You seem off.

Riku: I'm fine. Just a little creeped out by something.

Aoi: What is it?

Riku: On my way here, multiple security cameras were following my movement. It was weird.

Aoi: Are you sure they were watching you?

Riku: Completely. I checked.

Aoi: ... Do you think it's the Knights of Hanoi tracking you?

Riku: Most likely. If so, I may need to ask your brother for some kind of protective service.

Wait. Shit! I forgot Aoi doesn't like friends asking Akira for favors.

Aoi: Good idea.

Riku: Huh?

Aoi: If you're being watched by Hanoi, you need something to make sure you stay safe.

Riku: Y-Yeah...

She doesn't mind? What's different between now and any other classmate asking for stuff? Is it the necessity that makes a difference?

Riku: I'll talk to him about it later. Any idea what's for dinner?

My stomach rumbled a little and I looked away, but I could feel her staring at me.

Aoi: You didn't eat much did you?