Chapter 21: Party Updated

After spending the night exchanging information with Lightning, I woke up and saw my duel disk next to my bed. Lightning greeted me and we exchanged pleasantries before I did my morning routine before school.

Riku: I have to get to school. I'll be bringing the duel disk, naturally it would be best to avoid talking while I'm in public.

Lightning: A tad boring. But necessary nonetheless. Very well.

I picked up the duel disk Lightning was in and made my way to school. On the way, I felt someone watching me again. I looked and saw no cameras were watching me.

I walked down an alley and heard footsteps. One, maybe two people at most.

Riku: Whoever you are. You suck at hiding yourself.

???: You caught me? Oh well. This part is never that fun.

I saw a girl in some kind of leather riding suit walk around the corner.

???: Well, let's just cut to it. I'd like to know more about that incident from 10 years ago you mentioned to Revolver.

Riku: Who are you?

I grabbed my duel disk from my bag and tapped the screen to get Lightning's attention.

???: There's no need to be so defensive. I just want to know about what you had to suffer through.

Riku: That doesn't answer my question.

???: Ugh, So cautious. My name is Emma Besshou. I work with your friend Akira Zaizen.

Riku: You work with Zaizen? Then why didn't he tell me about you coming with questions?

Emma: He's not your secretary, you know.

Riku: I know that. But if an associate of his was planning to interview me, knowing him, he would give me some form of heads up to assure me that nothing was wrong.

Emma: You know him pretty well already. I guess that happens when you're trying to win over his sister's heart.

She teased and looked for a reaction. While I did my best to hide any form of response, I could feel my face heating up slightly.

Emma: So you do have feelings for her.

Riku: What are you trying to get from me?

Emma: Entertainment mostly.

Riku: Go to a comedy club or something then. I have to get to school.

I walked past Emma, but before I could turn the corner she said something to get my attention.

Emma: I have something you may want access to for information on the incident 10 years ago.

I stopped in my tracks.

Riku: Do you have anything to prove that?

Emma: Now I have your attention. I'm going to be using this back route to get someone else's attention. I did make a copy, and I may be willing to hand it over in exchange for what you know about the incident.

Riku: Without anything to verify what you're promising, I'm afraid I can't say much. Even if I wanted to, I'm under obligation to keep those details to myself.

Emma: Really? That's too bad. If you're going to be so withheld and rigid, I doubt any girl will catch an interest in you, including Zaizen's sister.

She's trying to get me to talk by provoking my emotions. I know she is. Even so...

Riku: I don't act like this by choice...

Emma: Oh?

Riku: After what happened, trusting people is a rare luxury to afford for me. I trust Aoi and Akira. Anyone else is a potential threat.