Volume 1 Chapter 2: The Girl with the Last Name Sakayanagi

Freedom means responsibility. That's why most people are afraid of freedom.
George Bernard Shaw

Although this school is special, the entrance ceremony was just like any other school. First the principal came to the podium, followed by Horikita Manabu, President of the Student Council, who spoke on stage. Toward the end of his speech, several teachers took the stage to announce the end of the admission ceremony.

After listening to detailed explanations about all the buildings on campus, the class dispersed.

On my way back to the dormitory, I had the thought of stopping by the grocery store, since my need for food never went away.

«Hey, can I talk to you for a minute?»

I heard someone call out to me. I wonder why anyone would want me.

«You're a freshman, aren't you?»

The man who asked me that question was a tall guy with blond hair. He didn't sound so sure, because he could have been wrong. I did notice that he wanted to hide that fact from me.

«Yes.»

«From D class?»

«That's right. Do you need something?»

«You don't know a guy named Ayanokoji?»

Then I'm the one he wants. Strange, why would a person from another class want me on the first day? That does seem kind of suspicious. In fact, no one within the walls of this school should know me, unless, of course, we expel Kushida and the chairman.

«He's standing in front of you.»

«Great, that'll make my job a lot easier. Ayanokoji, there's a man who wants to talk to you tonight at nine o'clock in the special building.»

А? The situation seems more and more strange to me.

«May I ask who this person is?»

«I'm sorry, I can't tell you that. Just come and find out for yourself.»

There were several things that bothered me. One of them was that this guy was some kind of ambassador. That just meant that there was already someone in their class who could give orders to others. Disturbing.

«Would you please introduce yourself?»

«Oh yes, I'm sorry. Pretty rude of me. My name is Masayoshi Hashimoto, and I'm from Class 1-A.»

Now that I know he's Class A, I have to be really careful with him.

«Okay, I have to go. I hope to see you again.»

After saying that, Hashimoto waved to me lazily, turned around, and headed in the direction of the school.

I don't know why, but I was already drawing extra attention to myself. I wanted to postpone this for as long as possible, but apparently I couldn't. Okay, it doesn't really matter now. I still hadn't eaten anything.