Volume 1 Epilogue: The End of the Trial

Death is also freedom, isn't it?
...

As a student of that very place, I was always better than the others. I was able to solve problems faster, my strength was higher, my speed was always too fast. I was getting better, faster, and stronger, but... still, that statement is rather erroneous and inaccurate.

«How did it go?»

I asked this question to the girl who was the last to leave the student council room. Before her, I still met my classmates in high spirits and the guys from B class, whose emotions were just the opposite.

«You already know, don't you?»

«Yes. But I'd like to hear the details.»

I understood from Matsushita that it went well, but she wouldn't tell me the exact course of events of the two school court sessions. I didn't ask her about it, though. Her intelligence and more or less obedient nature might be useful to me in the future. Maybe if she were a Class C, I would have made her my agent by now, but unfortunately, that's just a fantasy of something that doesn't exist in the real world.

The first meeting was on Monday after class, and the second meeting was on Wednesday after class, which is today. It was also over that day and the verdict was announced. Class B was found to be a liar-aggressor, and Kansaki was punished accordingly. By statute, Kanzaki Ryuji of the first-year B class was expelled from Advanced Placement school.

«Well, it went exactly as you told me. At first, these Class B kids defended him, but at the last meeting, they had already turned against him. What did you do?»

I sent Kamuro to the student council office to make her an outside witness. Especially, I had to tell her to talk about how she took those pictures. In the fake version of the story, Kamuro turned out to be only an incidental witness, so she decided to take a look at the fight and keep her evidence just in case.

When asked about her participation in this trial, I asked her to answer something like, "In any case, a negative result for any class would be helpful to Class A." Brutal but true, no one would argue with that.

«I used that girl, Himeno Yuki, to turn the students of Class B against Kanzaki.»

Kamuro was about to open her mouth to ask the world's most obvious question. At that, her face reflected intense surprise. Those dark purple eyes looked at me somehow differently for the first time.

«Anticipating your question, I have no idea what methods she used, but she succeeded.»

Perhaps Jimeno will become my main agent in the near future, although I'm not quite sure about that yet. I don't know yet how she operates. If their principle of working with Camuro is different, then I need them both, and if not, then one of them can be gotten rid of sooner or later. After all, I don't need many witnesses to my shady dealings in this school.

«I understand... Well, that was... interesting.»

Suddenly I heard something from her that I didn't expect to hear even after a hundred years. She basically said she liked it for some reason. I didn't understand that point at all.

«I wonder?»

«...Yes. I don't know how to explain it, but there's something about it. I thought you were just an idiot who didn't know who you were, but...»

Is this what they call Stockholm syndrome? In fact, I'd call it something similar.

«But you fell in love with me?»

«Screw you, loser! Only a sick pervert would fall in love with a guy like that!»

It was pretty hurtful, but still, I understood what Kamuro was trying to say. Maybe she liked the way I put the mosaic of this situation together out of completely different pieces. Or did she enjoy being a part of it herself? Either way, it's any of those things.