Volume 1 Chapter 3: Perspectives on the Future

Happiness is the feeling of freedom from pain.
Arthur Schopenhauer

On the second day, most of the time we were explained the school rules. My classmates were a little confused by how indifferent the teachers were. During class I heard conversations that got louder by the minute. Yet, despite this, the teacher did not say a word about discipline.

I guess that's how teachers behave with students who have completed compulsory education. Though, of course, this is still school, so this train of thought doesn't have that much development. Perhaps if this were a college or university, such a thing wouldn't seem unusual or strange, but here...

In this light atmosphere, I didn't notice how lunchtime came. After getting up from their seats, the students and their new friends went to fill their stomachs for the rest of the day. I should go get something to eat, too. The cafeteria might be a good place to do that.

«Oh, Ayanokoji, would you mind coming with me for company?»

Hirata came up to me and asked such a strange thing. There were several girls standing behind him, why was he inviting me? Was it possible that this was a scripted move of a romantic comedy film? That is, following the director's logic, I would have to meet the girl of my dreams at the dinner table during the big break.

«I'm sorry, but I have other plans.»

That was a lie. I just don't want to go to lunch with him. Yes, he may be nice and friendly, but I would feel superfluous in his company. Moreover, I didn't believe I could find a girl in the cafeteria so easily. How do you even imagine that? I can't even imagine such a surreal scenario.

«Too bad... Okay, then I won't distract you.»

I'm sorry, Hirata, but I have to.

I nodded to him one last time and left the classroom, then headed for the cafeteria at a very fast pace, so that Hirata's group wouldn't be able to see me. Even if they realized I was going in the same direction, though, that didn't mean the cafeteria was my target. I could have been anywhere in that direction.

«Wow-wow-wow, where are we going in such a hurry?»

When I turned around, I noticed Hashimoto, who was walking as fast as I was, clearly trying to catch up with my persona.

«Nowhere, just...»

«Okay, never mind. Do you mind talking to me at lunch? I'd love to know what our princess has told you that's so interesting.»

Princess? Are they in their Class A role-playing games or something? Is he really talking about Sakayanagi? It's only the second day of school, so what has she managed to do in her class? Did she really want to call herself a captive princess from the tower? Except I didn't see any long golden hair on her yesterday.

«Okay, I don't mind.»

After all, it's not the kind of company where I'm going to have unpleasant girls. I mean, it could be a purely male one-on-one conversation. I might even be able to find out useful information about their class. All the more reason to find out who's playing the role of Rapunzel there.

* * *

After taking my order, I headed to the table, where Hashimoto was already waiting for me. On his side was a medium-value lunch. You could tell that it included a few simple vegetables and a large piece of full-cooked meat. If you were thirsty, this meal came with a large glass of water.