Volume 1: Short Stories

Sakayanagi Arisu Short Story:
A Girl's Sense of Friendship

*click*

«W-what?»

«Arisu?!»

When my mind cleared up a bit, I found that my cane had fallen to the floor with a loud clatter. But even that couldn't have bothered me for two reasons. First, I was sitting on a padded couch and could have picked up my faithful life companion from the floor at any moment. Second, my heart was beating so hard right now that I didn't notice nearly anything around me.

Suddenly, a tall man approached me quickly. It was a man dressed in a business suit, even in his own home. When he came in from work about half an hour ago, there was a complicated expression on his face from that moment until now, and now the mystery behind such a thing was finally revealed to me.

A man I might have heard of before is enrolling at the Tokyo High School of Advanced Education this year. No, the last time I saw him with my own eyes was a little over eight years ago. At the time, he was a lonely kid from a white place who excelled as much as his peers and the program of his unusual education.

«It's all right.»

I clutched at my chest, but it didn't hurt. The happiness in my soul suddenly exploded and thereby spread throughout my body. Every part of my skin right now felt as if I was simultaneously being swept from head to toe by an intense heat and a wild cold.

I had a feeling I wasn't going to be able to sleep tonight. I don't know whether I'm just going to rejoice in the fact that this boy is enrolled in the same school as me, or whether I want to remember my chess skills right now, it doesn't really matter that much. All that matters is that I finally get to meet that boy again, the one with such a sweet name and such great ability.

Kamuro Masumi Short Story:
An Inconceivable Feeling

I managed to get information from the person in C class. It was that strange girl, who, simply put, was a pain in the ass. But that's okay, the important thing is that the information is in my hands, not literally, but figuratively.

I wrote everything in one message on my phone, but my finger stopped on the send button. It wasn't that hard to just press that button, but for some reason I didn't want to do it right away.

As I copied the message, I decided to switch to the contact list on my phone. There weren't many people there: just the number of the school and the sensei I had typed in beforehand, followed by the little handicapped girl and the blond snake. And in last place was this guy's number. Ayanokoji...

I don't know why, but for some unknown reason I wanted to call him. I didn't care that it was only early morning. I had recently woken up myself because of the messages from that girl in the other class. My hair was still messy on my pillow, and I felt nothing but panties on my waist and a desire to sleep.

«I got some information on Class B.»

"Thanks, I knew I could count on you."

«Yes.»

I didn't realize it, but the corners of my lips crept up a little after his words of gratitude. Honestly, it was kind of nice to even get something like that as a reward for a hard and annoying job.

"Why did you call me?"

«...???»

What kind of question was that? Although, to be honest, I still don't understand the reason I called him myself. It could have gone a lot faster if I had just hit the send message button, but I felt like dialing his number.

"I've heard that a girl in the morning usually wants to hear her boyfriend's voice, is this the case?"

«God! Just shut up!»

I immediately dropped the phone call and tossed my cell phone to my feet on the bed.

«Ugh! That guy! There he was, what an idiot!»

A sudden rage flared through me, and I even assumed a sitting position on the bed and grabbed the pillow, pressing it to my face so I could let out a cry of rage right now. If I had done something like that without the pillow, I might have woken up the neighbors, so I quite shrieked into the soft rescue pillow, if only a little.

«What a... idiot...»

I pressed the pillow to my chest and took the phone in my hand. Tranquility gradually filled my body until I was suddenly hot, too. I even threw off my blanket, but it didn't do me much good. The heat filled my body and head so quickly that it felt like I was sick. I think I should take a shower.

Still, I also had to take another breath and text this idiot. I won't be calling him again... I guess...

Shiina Hiyori's Short Story:
The Beginning of a True Friendship

When the movie ended, he and I decided to take a walk around the school grounds. There was hardly anyone around us, so it was a pretty quiet and peaceful environment for both me and him.

Ayanokoji-kun. It was only recently that I had heard this name, but now I already felt so good thinking about this man. We had similar interests and hobbies. It wasn't the first time we'd seen each other.

His face was almost always rather calm, and his mood was mostly strictly neutral. Still, he managed to show emotion from time to time, even if it wasn't strong. I would say that both of these phases of his moods fascinated me in their own way.

«Speaking of which, Ayanokoji-kun. I heard about the incident between your class and Class B.»

It was something that kept bugging me. A fight between several students from those two classes. Of course, my own C class had nothing to do with it, but it was still frustrating to know that something like that was happening.

«...I hope this problem didn't affect you in any way?»

But those words I said weren't really about that. Rather, right now I was more worried about my friend. Of course, other classes and students are important too, but there are also those who are much closer to you and to whom you pay more attention.

«Don't worry, I'm perfectly fine. This incident hasn't affected me in any way.»

«I'm glad to hear that.»

I was really glad to hear that. It felt like a big stone had just fallen from my soul. Perhaps I was only experiencing this feeling because I had never been particularly good at making friends before, and Ayanokoji-kun had become quite close to me so quickly, so to speak.

We were looking for Sakura, and we found her. Sakura's love story is said to be connected to ancient Japan, but it still has nothing to do with us. That simple tale of blossom, war, love, sadness and death has nothing to do with me or my friend. At least, I hope not.

«I'd like to exchange phone numbers with you, is that okay?»

I said and did something so unlike me, but I didn't care anymore. Today it was firmly affirmed in my soul that Ayanokoji-kun is my friend. If I will not run from this fact, I need only accept it. I hope that our relationship will only become stronger and stronger in the future.

Author's Notes: Number of words: 1,285.
The chapter is short because (short) stories.