Underneath

Candace walked through her front door to find Milo waiting excitedly for her at the door.

"Hi Milo." She said kneeling down and petting his head. 

"Hi mom." Stephanie said out loud. 

Candace turned and was surprised to see Stephanie and Jason snuggled underneath a blanket on the living room couch. The tv was on and she could heard some familiar dialogue.  

"Oh hi! I thought you two would be gone by now." She said to the lazy couple. 

"We thought so too, but we dozed off." Steph said as she yawned. 

Candace then heard a familiar jingle. "You fell asleep while watching Home Alone? How could you?!" She joked. 

"Sorry mom. We didn't mean to commit heresy." Steph joked. 

"Lucky for you I'm a forgiving woman!" She snapped jokingly. "Now go get changed for your party. Don't keep your friends waiting." 

Steph scurried up the stairs and Candace watched after her as she ran. Her nightgown was flipping up and Candace saw flashes of gray and polka dots. She whipped her head to see if Jason was looking, but was relieved to find him fixated on his phone. 

Steph was now rummaging through her room thinking of what to wear for the evening. She took off her nightgown and chose a simple bra. After clasping it on she heard  knock on the door. 

"Come in." She said. 

"Aren't you even going to ask who it is?" Candace said as she walked in. 

"Well, I didn't think Jason would come up after me if I'm changing." She said thinking on her feet. 

"Fair..." The mother said with some skepticism. "Hey look."

"Hmm?" Steph said. 

"Earlier you and Jason were... awfully close." Candace said hesitantly. 

"Mom, we're dating." 

"Hey, I'm okay with it, but... just be careful okay?"

"Gosh mom!" Steph turned around to look at her mom. "What did you think we were doing?" 

"You two were just napping." She replied. "I'm just saying... I'm okay with it, but don't let your father catch you like that. You know how he is about this stuff. How he thinks of you." 

"I- I guess." Steph agreed. She knew that her father was a lot more conservative than her mother.  And while he and Andrea butted heads, She had always been the more compliant child, leading to him thinking the world of her. 

"Sorry mom." She apologized

"There's no need to apologize. Just looking out after my baby girl." Candace winked. She paused for a moment before continuing. "So.... What are you planning to wear for tonight?" The mother asked. 

Steph thought about it a little. "I was thinking this." She pulled out a red cable knit sweater dress. 

"Ooh, festive." Candace approved. "And?" 

"And?" Steph asked. 

"It's a cable knit sweater sweetie. What about underneath?" 

"My... underwear?" Steph replied confused.

"Can you wear something else under the dress?" Candace asked

"Is there something wrong with what I have on?" She asked wondering her mom wanted her to have matching bra and panties or something. She then wondered if her mom was suggesting she wore a Goodnite or diapers under. Was she encouraging daytime wear and use?

"No, Stephie. Can you wear a shirt under, or a slip?" Candace clarified. 

"Oh." Steph was relieved. "I don't have a slip, but I'll wear a tank top?" 

"And shorts or leggings?" The mother said in a more demanding rather than asking tone. 

"Oh sure." She complied happily. Steph opened her dresser and pulled out a pair of bike shorts. She slipped them on, as well as a black camisole. She then followed up with the sweater dress which went down to her knees covering everything she wore under. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and felt like the extra layer she wore in between was pointless. The cable knit sweater was not see through in the slightest. 

"Perfect" Candace said as she walked behind the daughter. She started brushing Steph's hair. Her straight black hair made it easy work to brush. "What're you going to do with your hair?" 

"I was just gonna leave it. It's just friends." She replied. "But, what do you think of these?" She said pulling out a mismatched pair of Christmas tree and present earrings. 

"Those are festive." Candace replied. "No baby Jesus in a manger earrings?" She asked with a straight face. 

The two stared at each other for a moment before bursting out laughing. 

"I still can't believe dad went on a rant about that a few years back." 

"You know we'll never let him live it down." Candace said between breaths. 

"Okay, I should get going." Steph said noticing the time. She rummaged through her dresser for a pair of red and brown reindeer socks. While she put them on her mother spoke up.

"Have fun tonight okay? Tell Steven and Marie I say hi." 

"I will if I see them, but I think they're still put picking up Dee's grandma tonight." Steph said as she scurried around looking for her wallet, phone, and purse. 

Once Stephanie had gathered everything she needed she ran down the stairs to find Jason waiting by the door. As she put on her shoes Candace yelled 

"Wait!" She shuffled out the kitchen with a tray in her hand. "You forgot the pasta salad!" 

"Oh crap! Thanks mom." Steph said as she grabbed the tray. "Love you."

"Love you too. Don't drink too much okay?" 

"We won't!" She replied closing the door. She entered the car and as she closed the door she turned to Jason.

"What's up?" He asked.

"I never told her we were drinking. Did you?"