Thirsty

Stephanie and Jason walked through the front door of Diane's house. 

"Sorry we're late." Jason apologized. "Lost track of time." 

"Ooo la la~~" Diane teased in a sing song voice. "What were you two doing?" 

"Stop." Steph giggled. "We were just napping together." 

"Ooooo" said a chorus of voices from several of their friends.

"Napping eh?" She responded. "Sorry, 'Napping together'" she emphasized with air quotes. 

"On the couch!" Steph tried to correct them. 

"Naughty." Diane teased. 

"Ugh forget it." Jason dismissed her. "We brought pasta salad and a bottle of red." He said as he walked towards the kitchen. 

"Perfect!" Diane said. "Pasta salad can go on the table, and you can give me the red." 

Diane grabbed the red from Jason's hand and twisted the cap right away. 

"Someone's eager to drink." Said one of the guys. 

"Well duh Marcus." Diane said matter of factly. "It's the holidays. I'm making mulled wine!" 

"Oh! Can I help Dee?" Stephanie asked. "I've always wanted to learn." 

"Come with me Stephie baby." Diane said flirtatiously. She walked up to Steph and lead her by the hand. "Jason 'm stealing your 'Nap partner'." 

Jason rolled his eyes while Steph giggled. 

"So, to make a good mulled wine you start needs some spices...." 

Diane's voice faded as she led Steph into the kitchen. Jason threw away the saran wrap that protected the pasta salad. 

"So, Jason." Marcus said as he grabbed Jason's shoulder. "When did you guys become a thing again?" 

"Hey man." He said giving the guy a quick hug. "A couple weeks ago or so." He said trying to play it cool. 

"And you guys were... napping?" Marcus teased.

"Dude, c'mon man. Quit it." He said punching Marcus on the shoulder. 

"All right, all right." Marcus shook his head. "Real talks though, I'm happy for you guys." 

"Thanks man." he replied. 

The two continued their conversation catching up about events since they last talked. Over time several others joined the conversation. Not long after 3 or 4 more people arrived Diane came out of the kitchen. 

"All right Friends!" She yelled raising a red cup. "Let's get dinner started. I am starving!" 

The reunited group circled around the dining table, there were far more people than there were seats. Diane did a quick prayer and gave everyone instructions. 

"Grab a plate from the stack, eat whatever, sit where ever, just don't make a mess." She turned around before whipping back, "And drinks are in the kitchen. Anything on the kitchen island is drinkable. Mulled wine is on the stove. Drink responsibly. If it's not safe for you to drive, please don't. Check with me before you go. My house is empty if you need to spend the night, okay?" 

The crowd awkwardly stood around the table for a minute or so until someone decided to break the politeness by grabbing the food first. After grabbing food the crowd dispersed into groups to talk. Jason went to continue his conversation with his previous group. While Steph reentered the kitchen with Diane and several others. 

Nearing the end of his first plate, Jason felt thirsty so he went into the kitchen. Walking in he saw the group doing shots, Steph included. 

"Yes!" Diane shouted as she hugged Steph. "Stephie baby my party girl!"