【9】

As her alarm sounds out, Kristie reaches for and with a bit of effort locates her phone and turns the noise off. 

She lays and stares at the ceiling for a few minutes before summoning the energy required to sit up in her bed. Another morning of waking up alone in the cold, dark space with no one to share a coffee, laugh or even good morning with. 

Tossing the bedding aside, she stands up and collects her phone before heading to the washroom to do what she needs to and then out to the kitchen area to flick on the coffee maker. 

While she waits for it to boil and brew, she scans over social media, likes and or comments where necessary and then turns her attention back to responding to her messages. 

She bursts out laughing at the long winded message that her sister, Sam left her with regards to something that her Mom said while they were conversing. Kristie makes a note to call her later and get the full details. Continuing to scroll down, she stops when the infamous Unknown Number appears in the list. Curiousity gets her and she hits it to open the message. 

New Message

Unknown Number: I hear you were asking about me at the club tonight.

Kristie's mouth drops and she covers it with her hand, "It's her, what should I do?" Cluing in to the fact that she just asked the air around her what to do, she slides down to sit on the floor, leaning her back against the cupboards, staring at the words on the screen. Smiling she begins typing, deciding that two can play the game. 

New Message

Kristie: I was, but, apparently it was your night off. Too bad, I dressed up or should I say down for you. 

She doesn't expect an immediate response to her message and noticing the three dots on the screen she grows anxious and nervous at what the woman on the other end may say. And then the dots go away. Standing back up she makes her cup and waits to see if there's any response. 

Nikki sits on the couch having just returned from an early morning run, with Paige and finishing off the contents of her water bottle while she awaits her sister finishing in the bathroom and shower. 

Her phone buzzes and she looks down at the screen, smiles and instinctively licks her lips.  

New Message

Kristie: I was, but, apparently it was your night off. Too bad, I dressed up or should I say down for you. 

She begins typing, and then deletes what she wrote before hitting the send button. Nikki's suddenly unsure of how or what to say to convey what she's thinking about the blonde and doesn't want to end up chasing her away by saying the wrong thing. Attempting to play it safe, she types out a simple message. 

New Message

Nikki: I had fun the other night. 

Kristie lets out a squeal as she finally sees words on the screen and types. 

New Message

Kristie: Me too. 

Nikki smiles and debates asking the hard question before deciding to feel her and the situation out a bit further.

New Message

Nikki: I work tonight, can, I buy you a drink?

New Message

Kristie: I'm going to be out of town for a couple of days for work. Do you work on Friday?