【2】【7】

Standing and looking at herself in the mirror, Nikki debates her choice of clothing for about the millionth time since she got up. 

"You look fine." 

She takes a deep breath and turns around, "Are you sure? I mean, does the outfit convey the whole I still think that you're an asshole, but, I'm considering donating part of my liver to you, because everyone is in my ear and head telling me to be the bigger person?" 

Ms. Mitchell smiles and chuckles, "Maybe not all of that, but, most. You are a bigger and better person than he ever was or will be Nicole, and don't ever forget that. You are loved and respected by many and regardless of your decision, that won't change. Now, do me a favour and put some gas in the tank today, okay? Because, when I went to the store last night the tank was running a little light." 

Nikki smiles and nods, "I can do that. Been awhile since I have though; do, they have it set it so you prepay at the pump or do I have to go inside?" 

"Depends on which place you stop at." 

"Guess, I'll just have to figure it out. Okay, I need a distraction before I get to far inside my head. How was that game you were watching last night?" 

"Do you really want me to talk about it?" 

"Unless, you want to converse about all the books I haven't read." 

"How about we talk about music. I know Paige has a guitar and still finds time to play it every now and again, what, about you? Are you still putting your talent to use?" 

"I was never very good at the whole music thing, that was always more Paige than me." 

"I beg to differ; you may not have been suited to play the drums, but, I seem to recall you being able to play the piano and guitar relatively, well." 

"Relatively well? Thats makes it sound like I could do more with them than just make noise." 

"You could. Somewhere, around here I think I have a video of you and Paige playing together with your Mom." 

"I never really had the time to learn how to properly play; I was always on the go with my friends and playing sports." 

"Very true. Perhaps, it's about time you pick up something other than a different woman every night of the week." 

Nikki's jaw drops and she bursts out laughing, "I feel as though that's Paigey's doing and I approve of the message. Also, I don't have eyes for any woman except Kristie." 

"Today's going to be tough, kid; are you sure you want to do it alone? Give me a few minutes and I can be ready." 

"I appreciate the offer, but, it's time for me to face my past, alone." 

Nikki finishes getting ready before making the drive to the hospital and finds her way to the doctor's office. 

"My name is Nicole Scott, I was asked to check in with Doctor Hayes when I arrived in town."

"He's just finishing up a consult; if you'd like to have a seat, I'll let him know that you're here." 

Nikki looks around the area, feeling nausea at the sight of posters and brochures all featuring smiling faces surrounding her, before taking a seat.

10 minutes pass and then 15, before the receptionist calls her name and opens the door for her to come around to the back.

"Have a seat and he'll be right in." 

Her butt barely hits the upholstery when a man enters the room and extends his hand, "Sorry to keep you waiting; I'm Doctor Kevin Hayes and I've been co-ordinating the effort to locate a suitable donor for your Father."