【6】【5】

Kristie walks out of the bedroom and shakes her head at the sight of Nikki pacing around the living room.

"Babe, you're going to wear a hole in the area rug."

Nikki looks up at her girlfriend smiles and then chuckles.

"What?"

"I'm just shocked you called it an area rug and not carpet, that's all."

Kristie tilts her head and smirks, "I do know the difference between an area rug and carpet as well as duvet cover and comforter."

Nikki chuckles, "I guess all those hours of us watching HGTV together haven't been totally lost on you."

"It was more about us spending time together than what we were watching."

"I know and I've really grown to appreciate those moments of calm and comfort in the midst of everything."

"You okay, Nik?"

"I will be."

Kristie walks over and wraps her arms around her girlfriend before gently cupping her face and kissing her. "You will be."

Nikki chuckles. "I wish you could hold my hand through it all."

Kristie chuckles. "Cause that wouldn't be weird or give us away."

Nikki chuckles and shrugs. "I thought I was prepared for this, but I'm barely keeping my shit together at the moment, Kris."

"Baby, today is basically only a meet and greet. You'll be introduced to and meet everyone at the camp, we'll have a housekeeping type meeting and at some point, we'll get new team wear and you'll get to choose a number."

"I don't know what number to choose, Kris; I've only ever worn 14."

"Which is already spoken for. Do you want me to ask Nealy about possibly changing?"

"No! You can't! Remember, you don't know me and I don't want any favours. Maybe, I can approach her and explain that the number means a lot to me and see if she'd reconsider. Won't matter anyway, unless I make it through camp and get offered a contract."

"I'm not going to lie and say you're guaranteed of a getting a contract, when you're not; the reality is, they've added a ton of bodies via trades, signing and the draft and you're an outsider with everything to prove."

"Really not helping with my anxiety level, Kris."

"I'm not as good with words as you. What I'm trying to say is that you have an advantage on the other players in that, most of them have no idea who Nikki Scott is or what she's capable of. They don't have film on you, so they won't know how or where to play you; whereas, you've watched all kinds of clips and games and have an idea what most of them are about. You've a clean slate to show everyone what you can do and it's up to you what comes next."

Nikki nods, "Not the best pep talk, but I get where you're were trying to going with it."
"Good." Kristie smiles.

"While, I admit that I'm looking forward to getting some sunshine and seeing you in a bikini, I hate the idea of not being around to help Brynn at the club."

"The club will survive without it's best mixologist."

Nikki hangs her head, "It's not just that."

"Nik, I know you're concerned about the loss of income while you're away and I've already told you, that I'll cover the rent and expenses while we're away, so that you can focus on earning your contract."

"And I told you that I would never settle for being a kept woman."

"Nik, a kept woman is someone who doesn't work and is content to allow their lover or partner to pay for everything; you my dear, are far from that. In fact, you're one of the hardest working people I know and if you don't allow me to do this for you, I'm calling Ms. M. on you!"