【5】【4】

Nikki lets out a sigh as she wakes up in her room alone, even with Kristie's familiar scent on the pillow next to her, it's not the same as waking up with the real person.

The bedroom door opens and Kristie looks in and smiles upon seeing that her girlfriend is finally awake. She enters the room and closes the door before sitting on the side of the bed.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I need to get a billion things done, but barely have the energy to make it to the washroom to pee."

Kristie chuckles. "Do I need to get you some of those adult diaper things?"

"Eww! Not a chance. Is Paige at work?"

Kristie nods. "Yeah, she left a few hours ago. Are you hungry? Do you want something to drink?"

"What I'm thirsty for isn't currently on the menu."

Kristie smiles and chuckles. "Sounds like you're starting to feel more like yourself. I made a fresh pot; would you like some?"

"I'm supposed to limit my caffeine intake."

"When has that ever happened?"

"Never, but I'm trying to abide by the doctor's orders, so, it's gonna be a no for me. I could use a distraction from all this dark and quiet; any ideas?"

"Paige showed me how to access some audiobooks; I could put one on in the background and we could snuggle for a bit."

"I hate audio books."

"I know that too, however, you aren't allowed to do anything much for at least the next few days and it's either we listen to one or you have to listen to me butcher the words of one of your books."

Nikki chuckles, "Tough call. I think I much prefer the idea of snuggling and falling asleep with you while some randoms voice lulls me to sleep."

"Okay, let me just open the app and we can hopefully find something. Umm, how exactly do I do it again? I should have listened better when Paige was showing me how to access it."

Nikki chuckles. "I love that you're always at odds with technology. Pass me over your phone and I can do it."

"You're not supposed to have any screen time, though. Paige will give me shit if she finds out."

"Then we don't tell her! Not to mention, it'll take me far less time to do it than for you to figure it out."

"Fine. But that's all your doing with my phone."

"Guess we're not filming a sex tape then, huh?"

Kristie bursts out laughing. "God, I love you!"

"Do I love you?" Nikki looks at Kristie as serious as she can while asking the question.

"Whaaat? Nik, please tell me that you're screwing with me right now." Nikki looks at Kristie and knows she crossed a line, her girlfriend who isn't known for being emotional has tears in her eyes.

"Baby, I'm kidding; I love you! More than anything and everything in my life. I'm sorry, I was just trying to have a little fun with you and may have taken it too far."

"May have?" Kristie looks at her. "You did. I'll let it slide this time, being as though you look like a raccoon and it's because of me, next time, you'll be sleeping alone."

Nikki reaches for Kristie's hand and squeezes it. "No matter how many shots to the head I take, I'd never be able to forget you, Kris. I love you, beautiful and one of these days you're going to marry me and I'm sorry for even joking that I didn't love you." Nikki lets out a yawn. "Can we lay down now, please?"