15. The Fourth Ill Fate

┏━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━┓

CHAPTER 15
Doom's Arc
EP: FIVE

┗━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━┛

 "Not so fast, intern. We're going together. I'm not done talking yet."

Taehyun was on the verge of groaning out loud when the voice behind him called out. He halted in his place as the soft clacking of heels against the marble tiling drew near. Taehyun failed to recognize it was the exact pair of dress shoes of which he had abused one under his feet.

As expected, the noirette walked past him - casual as ever with one hand in his damn pocket - and motioned Taehyun to follow close. Watching him act so suave, Taehyun occasionally wondered if that nuisance perceived himself as a protagonist of some story.

They passed the first and second intersections which, to Taehyun's awareness, respectively led to wall-less offices of other teams in the department.

The brunet adjusted the strap when he felt the burn on his shoulder inflicted by the heavy load of books in his bag.

He nearly forgot those catalogs that were tasked to him to be sorted with cut-out pictures and labels appropriately, and Taehyun hoped for the nuisance before him wouldn't notice that he still had homework on hold.

 "What did you do yesterday?" asked the 'superior' notwithstanding his disinterest for the answer.

 "I made copies of the blueprint for our project in progress. Other than that, I'm also working on understanding its ultimate objectives as well as the advertising tactics our team harnesses."

Taehyun broke in a cold sweat when his generalized report - excluding the trivial errands he had to run and his suspended assignment - was met with a tutting response.

 "Seems like your mentor couldn't demonstrate you how to get things done properly, how troubling. A guidance mustn't proceed with such lagging pace in the long run. As your chief, I cannot allow even marginal incompatibility between my team members."

The brunet couldn't see how Beomgyu's deadpan expression betrayed him momentarily when a few drops of excitement overflowed. It's not just because Taehyun was walking behind, but also for he's being pricked with dread for the possibility of job loss of his best friend due to his wrong phrasing.

 "Say, starting now, why don't I take over Huening-juim's duty for the better?"

At once, Taehyun's voice shot up to an octave higher on its own accord.

 "That wouldn't be really necessary, sir! Huening Kai and I can resolve this amongst overselves. You needn't tend that much to a measly intern like me--"

Taehyun's rambling faltered when Beomgyu stopped abruptly and swiveled to face him, his head ever-so-slightly canted as he took his sweet time to enunciate his next words.

 "Why? Are you afraid that I might do something to you?"

 "..."

Evident that his 'prey' was unable to form a response, a diabolic smirk fleeted across Beomgyu's ravishing face before he advanced, his voice eerily as calm as a swoosh of spring breeze.

 "You know, Kang. I'm usually quite an easygoing person, not just an amicable leader..."

The closer the noirette stepped toward him, the more the air around them thickened.

 "...unless someone stepped on my foot while I'm having a bad day, that is."

Taehyun followed the meaningful, downward gaze with his toes bent under his loafers at the caution of being treaded on as a payback by the other man.