23

Someone talking on the phone looks like this

.............................................

You haven't been able to focus for the life of you at work. Even though Dave is back in your life, something still feels missing. You try your hardest to think about what it is, but your mind blanks. You can't figure it out.

You've been distancing yourself from everyone. You didn't want your friends to know what was going on. What would you tell them if they found out? They wouldn't be able to trust you. You can't have that happening. You need them to trust you and if keeping a secret is the best way to keep their trust, so be it.

"Hey, (Y/N)..." You whipped your head around to see Jeremy, Fritz, and Joan standing awkwardly behind you. You face them, confused about what their problem was. Were you staring at the wall for so long that they get concerned? That can't be good.

"Oh, uh, hey! How are you doing?" You ask them, trying to get rid of the silence.

"Good, good. We were wondering if you wanted to get something to eat with us. Just to get out of here, y'know," Joan offered. It would be beneficial for you to go with them, for one reason or another. But, you should get home to Dave.

"I'll pass. I have a... fish to pet sit. It needs to be fed around this time, so..." You make up a lie. Well, somewhat.

Dave had finally made peace with the fish toy you bought him. He tried to name it Texas, but you absolutely refused that name. So, he settled on Penelope. He takes it everywhere around the house. He talks to it as if it was real. You have to pry the fish away from him when you two are watching movies because he won't stop talking to Penelope. You somewhat regret getting it for him.

Jeremy looks confused after your excuse but seems to let it go. "Bummer! If a poor fish's life weren't in your hands, I would've forced you. You gotta join us next time."

"Yeah, okay. I promise to be there next time."

"PHIL! Grab your keys!" Joan yells out. You start to leave, not wanting to stick around any longer.

"Are you not joining us, Mx. (L/N)?" Mr. Guy comes out of his office. You pause, reluctantly. You'll have to continue this lie.

"Sorry, I have things to do back home."

"That's alright-"

"Actually, I changed my mind! (Y/N), you have to come with us!" Jeremy declares.

"Fine, jeez," You accept. The five of you all head out to Mr. Guy's car. You get in the back, taking a window seat so Jeremy and Fritz can sit closer together. You've obviously noticed their romance. It's easy to spot when you know the signs. 

"What are we going to do about the night shift?" Mr. Guy asks Joan. You stared out the window, listening in on their conversation.

Joan lets out a small laugh at the thought. You can't picture anyone breaking into Freddy's. "If nobody's tried to steal those monsters this far, they won't do it tonight."

"But-" Mr. Guy got cut off by Joan blasting music. She and Jeremy start to sing the song. They knew the lyrics by heart, you assume. You definitely have heard the song before, but you weren't in the mood to sing along. You were more worried. Though, when are you not?

Soon everyone is singing along. Well, everyone besides you and Fritz. Joan looks back and sees him not joining in. She turns down the music, letting your ears get a rest. "Fritz, you don't know this song?"

"Oh, I... uh... don't listen to music much," He replies, nervously.

"Yeah, but everyone knows this song. Even Phil knows this song. What's next, you don't eat food much?" Joan asks, jokingly. Fritz laughs softly, not answering.