27

Being awakened by Jeremy Fitzgerald shaking your shoulders wasn't how you wanted to start your day. Actually, you didn't want to start your day at all. You would've been fine laying on the ship's deck the entire time. Of course, that isn't possible. It's an employee bonding trip, you have to participate.

Sitting up from your sleeping bag, you see Jeremy holding the rabbit plush William had given you for the trip. He seemed to be inspecting it carefully. You didn't understand why, but you're used to Jeremy's antics. "Where'd you get this?" Jeremy says when you're rubbing your eyes, trying to fully wake up.

"Uh... I bought it for the trip..." You lied. Jeremy shrugged before tossing the rabbit back to you. He returned back to his spot beside Fritz.

Fritz had been acting cautiously around you for a few weeks now. You don't know what changed for him, but it's been bothering you. Assuming he's just in a mood or something, you haven't brought it up. Bringing it up would probably make it worse, at least, that's what you tell yourself.

You see Joan and Mr. Guy wake up beside you. "Did you manage to get any sleep?" Joan asks the group of you. Mr. Guy is the first to answer.

"I slept alright, all things considered. Definitely better than last time," He replies. You had to think back to the sleeping arrangements at that shitty motel before remembering. Mr. Guy and Jeremy slept on the disgusting beds, while you and Dave slept together in the tub. It's probably better to forget that memory.

"Trust me, I know. Your snoring could've risen the dead," Joan tells him. It's true. You woke up about three times to the loud snores coming from your manager.

Mr. Guy chuckles, before looking around the boat. "So, uh, what's first on the agenda?" He asks. You almost forgot that this trip has activities included that you have to participate in. Knowing how that went last time, you weren't very excited. Maybe it won't be as bad now that Dave's gone and replaced.

.............................................

You could have spent all day complaining about the trip and its activities, but what's the fun in that? You decide to just go along with it. If your friends are doing it, you should too. Unless you're jumping off a bridge. Which is surprising similar to what you're doing now.

Jumping off a diving board to get into the lake isn't your ideal definition of fun, but it's a new experience. You should try it. So, you stood in line with Jeremy, Joan, and Fritz waiting for your turn to jump. You watched others jump in, seemingly having a good time.

"Are you sure that jumping in is the best way?" Fritz asks, nervous about this activity.

"For sure! It's like ripping off a bandaid - you just gotta go for it!" Jeremy is quick to reassure.

"As long as you're sure you're ready."

"Yeah. You can't die on us today, Fritz," You add.

Jeremy wraps his arm around Fritz. "You shoulda seen him go last night, man! He's definitely ready."

One of the times you woke up from Mr. Guy's snoring, you heard water being splashed around. You were sure it wasn't from the lake. If it was, it would've been more distant. So, maybe it was the pool with Jeremy and Fritz in it? You do remember Fritz briefly saying he couldn't swim during one of your conversations.

Looking to the front of the line, you realized that your group was up. You definitely didn't want to go first, so you stepped back. Jeremy pushed Fritz closer to the diving board, urging him to go first.

"Come on, man! You can do it!" Jeremy encourages him. Fritz finally gains enough confidence to step onto the diving board and get closer to the edge. He looked down to the water and you could see him take a step back. "Let's go Fritz! You can do it Fritz! Here we go Fritz!"

You and Joan give him a thumbs up, motivating him when he looked back. You look to the side and see a person running toward the diving board. "BILLY?! Is that you?!" You see them looking at Fritz, who looked back quickly. He seemed panicked, but you couldn't figure out why. Who's Billy? "Billy, wait!"

Before the person could confront Billy, Fritz jumps off the diving board. You really hope he is as prepared as Jeremy says. You look over the edge as Fritz comes back up to the surface. "You did it! Best. Teacher. Ever!" Jeremy compliments himself. The other person didn't seem to be at their spot anymore. I wonder who they were talking to?

.............................................

Finally arriving home from the employee bonding convention was one of the best feelings ever. You could relax with the person you love in the comfort of your own home. It doesn't get much better than that.

Walking into your house, you were immediately met with the sound of the kettle whistling, signaling that the water is boiling. You put down your bags by the door and go into the kitchen to deal with it.

You heard footsteps making their way to the kitchen, most likely for the same reason you are. "(Y/N)? When did you get home?" The all too familiar voice of William asks you.

"Just now. Did you have fun while I was gone?" You joked. Looking at William, you could see he was wearing his Pen Island hoodie (you caught onto the joke pretty fast, though you were never sure if William did), and a pair of sweatpants. His cozy clothes instantly made your uniform uncomfortable.

"It was unbearable! There was nothing to do," William complained. You poured the boiling water into his cup he requests you use for tea, and only tea.

You didn't notice Penelope with him like she usually is. "Where's Pene-"

"Oh, you don't need to worry about her. She's long gone," William informed. You put the kettle down before turning to him, confused. "She broke. No big deal."

Knowing how much he loved that plastic fish, you couldn't help but feel bad. You opened your arms before wrapping them around him. "I'm sorry, Will. We can always get you another?" You suggested. You had expected William to jump at the idea, but he thought about it thoroughly.

"I think it's best to put her memory to rest now, love." He walks over to the designated junk drawer and opens it, rummaging through it before pulling out parts you recognized as the fish. He wasn't lying, she really did break. It was almost disturbing. There were only a few minor parts missing if you wanted to reconstruct her, but it would probably be a waste of time.

"Yikes... What happened?" You ask as William dumps the pieces in the trash.

"She was on the floor. Anyway, how was your trip? Did you get my gift?" He moves on from the topic.

"The trip was okay. Not as exciting as the last, but still fun. The rabbit helped me sleep as peacefully as I could, thank you." William sips the tea that you were sure was still steaming hot but seems to have no reaction. He nods at your words, acknowledging them.

He steps forward and kisses your cheek before walking to the living room. "Now that you're home, we can finally watch this movie I've been waiting to see. I heard it's alright," William says. It can't get much better than this. 

.............................................

Honestly dudes, I'm so tired, it ain't funny. I'm sorry there haven't been frequent updates. You can blame school and me being lazy for that. I'm sorry if there are mistakes or anything! I'm totally just pulling stuff out my ass for interactions at this point. Thank you all for nearly 10k reads! You're all amazing and I hope you have a great day/night!

#rippenelope