Second Battle

I woke up after in a room that was very bright , I squinted my eyes trying to adjust to the intense lighting . My head was aching badly I sat up a bit " Honey you shouldn't try to get up , you are  weak " my mom said pushing me down on to the bed , I relaxed as soon as I saw her .

"What happened to me?" I asked ,

" I don't know really , I was home when I received a call from the hospital that you were here , I panicked , I wasn't ready to loose you so soon "  my mom said wiping a lone tear off her face , not knowing what to say I squeezed her hands .
The door to my hospital room opened and a doctor walked in  " Miss miracle , you're awake , that's good , do you feel any pain ?"  He asked me .

" I have a headache , my bones hurt " I replied , he gave me a warm smile

" the pain killers have began to wear off , you will have another dose in an hour " he replied .

" Sorry do you know who brought me here " I asked , trying to  remember the face I saw before I passed out .

" A nice young man brought you here , am sorry but he left a few minutes ago "
He said , I felt down trodden , I really wanted to say thank you .

" Did he perhaps leave his name ?" I asked hopefully , " am sorry but no he didn't " the doctor replied.

I nodded my head and then he left after checking my pulse and asking me some questions , that I really didn't care about .
" What happened ?" My mom asked the inevitable question , " I don't know mom , everything is blurry " I said which wasn't a complete lie and I didn't want to worry her so I decided to distract her by changing the topic " I am hungry mom " I said , just as I thought that caught her attention .

" Tell me what you want to eat I will go downstairs to that little canteen there to get it " she said .

" I wouldn't mind jollof rice " I said

" Jollof rice it is then just hold on ok??" She said , I gave her the affirmative before she left ,I took in a deep breath , my mind wandered back to what happened , the memories were in pieces , I couldn't understand anything , but one thing was very vivid , the stranger's eyes , it was a striking blue . I don't think I had ever seen someone with blue eyes before , it was rare in this part of the world , in Africa our eye color is  mostly   brown , different kinds of shades of brown ,so people with blue eyes were special and rare .

I closed my eyes trying to make the memory permanent , because it was becoming foggy . I heard the door to my ward open I opened my eyes to see my mom carrying a plate of jollof rice with two piece of meat inside , my mouth watered , although I didn't have that much of an appetite , I just had to eat , jollof rice is one of my favorite food so I took the food from my mom and gobbled the food down .

" Mom , when can I leave " I asked

" The doctor hasn't said anything , but am guessing soon , how are you feeling? " she said

I sighed " Am feeling much better , just a little headache which isn't new "

" I was expecting that "  just then the doctor walked in

" When can I leave ?" I asked him

" Well am guessing we can send you home" he said checking my temperature  " but if
   something happens come to the hospital , Am really sorry "

I sighed knowing what he was sorry for , my mom signed the discharge papers and we left .

I sat at the back of my mom's car while we waited in  the typical Lagos traffic you'd think you will be used to it by now but everyday it just gets even more annoying . I stared out the window and my thoughts drifted off  , in a Year's time I wouldn't be here sat at the back of my mom's car looking at the window and complaining of how bad the traffic was , I wouldn't be here to complain of how hot the sun was , life was truely unfair . The car started moving again but at a slow pace am guessing the traffic was moving then in less than an hour we were back home .

I hurriedly made my way into the house , I needed to rest my head it was aching badly .

" Honey , are you alright" my mom asked

" Yeah mom just a small headache " I replied

She sighed " am so sorry dear , sometimes I wish I got the cancer "

" That doesn't make it better "  I will be up in my room , don't bother about dinner am not sure I will be able to eat tonight" .

I can see just how worried my mom was , my eating habit was what worried her the most , I used to eat a lot but that all went away when  changed when I fell sick . I went into my room took off my clothes and went Into the shower , I had always had short hair but now my hair was gone from my chemotherapy treatment , I looked in the mirror I had in my bathroom and laughed at the girl I saw she wasn't me , I wasn't her , I was bones and flesh , my beautiful features were almost gone , I was ugly , not wanting to dwell on my predicament I went into the bathroom and showered after showering I put on my kitty Kat pajamas and went to bed .

         ********************** 

I woke a while later not knowing for how long I slept , I went to the kitchen looking for food I was suddenly hungry , I rummaged through the fridge and settled for the bowl of Egusi soup that my mom made the day before, I heat it up and made garri , which I devoured in just a few minutes , after that I went up to my room and took my drugs , my headache were slightly gone but my joint pains were intensifying , I took my pain killers and soon after I dozed off , not really knowing when I fell asleep but the dreams that night was so vivid and colourful , filled with a blue eyed boy saving me from danger .

                         * * *
The sun was bright I could tell because the rays poured in through my window down at my face , somewhere far away I could hear the fowl croaking , where I lived was the posh part of Lagos  but the ghetto was pretty close to us , I tiredly pulled my body out of bed and head for the bathroom , I silently did my morning routine , normally I would have done that with music but I wasn't really in the mood and my headache was bad . I showered and got out of the bathroom I had my drugs and head out for the kitchen .

My mom was already there having breakfast   " I made yam and egg , get some if you want it " she said ,

I greeted her and went to the pot and took a small portion  of egg and just a few slices of yam , it wasn't my favorite food so I tried to avoid it , but for the egg , I would eat it . I took my food and made my way to the table 

" Do you want me at your doctor's appointment , today?"  Mom asked

" No mom , I will be fine " I replied

" But I want to come "

" You can't mom , what would you do there ?" 

" I would hold your hands through it all"

" Mom it's just normal check up to find out how fast my life is going  so it's not something that is worth going to   . I am sure you have something important to do "

I replied , reluctantly she agreed I ate up my breakfast and head out for the hospital .

I made to the hospital just in time for my check up and I had all the nurses check my temperature and tell how closer am drawing to my death , after my check up I head out . I decided to wander a bit before I went home , it was such a shame that I lost friends when all this started but it was probably for the best ,if they can't stick with me in trouble then they shouldn't be with me .
I board a boss headed for the stadium at surulere , there was a football match being played and I wanted to get away from me and my realities for a while . I went up the bleachers and sat down by my right a bit farther away from me sat a boy not that older than I was , I stared at him for a while something about him felt oddly familiar .
He must have felt me staring at him because he looked up at me and I saw the bluest eyes I had ever seen and immediately I was sucked in .