twenty-first

King's POV

I got home feeling drained both emotionally and physically , I was so tired I just wanted to hide away from myself and the world .

I had my bath and plopped down on my bed and I felt that internal dam I built break , all the emotions I had kept hidden , my parents neglect , my parents unsupportive nature to my dreams , my parents control over my life , I cried for miracle , it was so sad watching such a beautiful soul waste away .

I so much wanted to take the pain away , but I knew it was impossible , i just has to be by her and hold her till the very last .

            *********************

The sun rays poured into my bedroom , waking me up from the slumber I fell into , I sat up and all the memories from yesterday hit me at once and I felt nausea rise in the pit of my stomach , I stood up and went into the bathroom and had my shower .

I got into the kitchen and made my self a cup of hot coffee , my stomach was in a very accommodating mood for food .

I thought about calling my mother , but decided against it , I really didn't know why I was letting what miracle said get to me .

But whatever it was , I just wanted to do everything to please her , to give her that last moment of happiness .

I picked up my phone and called my mother , she answered on the first ring   .

" Can I see you for lunch , I have something I want to discuss with you " I said

I heard rustling on her end and I concluded she was busy  .

" Of course dear , your father is here , can he come along? "  She asked , I contemplated disagreeing , I hadn't seen my dad in months , we didn't exactly get along , but then I decided it was high time I let him know I'm an adult and I will do with my life what I want .

" Yea sure , even better " I replied

" Alright see you at twelve " my mom said and dropped the call.

A few hours later I was seated at a restaurant that I hope satisfied my parents taste , they were late and it didn't surprise me .
Just as I was about to give up and go home , my mom waltzed in , clutching my father's arm and greeted me with a bright smile and a big kiss on the cheek .

" King , I'm so happy you asked us to lunch " she said , her British accent heavy in her tone .

" King " my father said , his face betraying no emotion .

" Father "  I acknowledged , I saw a muscle on his face tick , happy I pissed him off knowing how much he hated when I called him father  , I always told him , a father was the one who gave the sperm  , a dad was the one who raised the child and in my case  , he was the former .

The waiter came to us and we placed our orders , soon enough our meal arrived  and we ate in silence I wouldn't deem comfortable , because I could tell my father was itching to lash out about how I was wasting my life .

" Why did you want to see us ?" My mother asked

" Can't I wish to have lunch with my parents ?" I replied suppressing an eye roll .

" We all know, you didn't call for pleasantries so out with it " my father said , I glared at him , and we did the eye starring contest we both developed over the years from times of constant battles of will .

I dropped my eyes knowing I wasn't gonna win , he was a business man after all , he starred into people's eyes for a living .

" I'm ready to get surgery " I said , my mom gasped and my dad's eyes widened but he quickly hid his emotions because God forbid he showed emotions .

" What brought about this " my mom asked , eyes glistening with unshed tears of joy .

" A wise woman opened my eyes , let me know y'all can't cope without me , told me the world needed me . She let me know I was privileged to have a second chance at life and I would be a fool to let it go " I said .

" Miracle right , I knew she was a beautiful soul , how is she?"  My mom asked .

" She's dieing , cancer " I replied monotonously , finding it difficult to comprehend the fact that she was actually dieing.

" Oh my goodness , that is awful , I'm so sorry son " my mom said , squeezing my hand.

" I'm happy , you were able to find the right people and not those awful dancer friends you had " my father sneered.

"I'm going to get surgery on one condition " I said ignoring his degrading comments about my  friends.

" What is it " my mom asked .

" You will let me pursue a  career in dance , let me do what I want , no more wanting to dictate my life " I said , head held high , letting them both know I meant every word of it .

" You want to waste your life , you have a place at my empire , and that is to be my heir! " My father bellowed .

" Austin , bring voice down " my mom touched his arm in an attempt to calm him .

" It's either you have me stay alive and do what I want , I could still dance while being a CEO to your company or so help me God , I'm not being petty I would actually commit suicide , I don't give two shits about my life" I replied .

" It's fine , you can dance all you want I'm just happy you are going to get surgery "  my mom said , but my father angrily stood up and stormed out of the restaurant .

" He will come around , I will call doctor Akpomuje and let him know you are ready . Thank you for seeing that you have so much to give "  my mom said while pulling me into a tight hug .

A tear dropped out of my eye and I gripped her equally as tight , I used to be so close to my mom , but as the year progressed and my incessant need to spite them , we grew apart .

" I love you mom , thanks for not giving up " I said , she looked at me tenderly and kissed my forehead .

" I love you too , so does your father " she said and left the restaurant.

Do you think his father is being a douchebag by not letting him pursue his dream in dance ?

Do you think it's a waste of time ?

Let me know in your comments.

Pls tap that star ...

Happy new year ❣️