[ 45 ]

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
- SACRIFICE -
───── ⋆♡⋆ ────

Panting, he looked over his shoulder as he continued to run. The cold wind blew through his hair as the full moon shone over the city.

He saw him in the distance, running after him. No matter how many times he tried to shake him off, he couldn't. Every turn he took, he took. Every jump he made, he jumped too.

Jake had been running through the empty city for about ten minutes now with Jay running after him, hoping to arrive at Sunghoon's house soon enough to warn them. If Jay hadn't been on to him, he wouldn't have followed him now and he would have been safe. Who knows what Jay would get out of him now?

Jake was now only about 2 blocks away from Sunghoon's house, but still he had Jay following him. Also Jay knows where he lives, so he can't come there unseen and tell them he wants to kill Jiwoo.

Jay was a few feet away, visible only as a small, black shadow in the dark. Now if Jake was faster than him, he might still be in time. Only if the couple weren't already asleep.

Quickly Jake quickened his pace and ran even faster, not even knowing he could go that fast. He had to be faster and get away faster.

It was the only way he could save them.

Even if he had to sacrifice himself for them, he would do anything for it. Jiwoo or himself? Himself, he would answer. He felt that his childhood friend should live, even if it was at the cost of his life.

Jiwoo, his very first friend in his entire life, his very first crush. He loved her, not loved, loves. He still loves her as much as before, maybe even more.

He just doesn't want her to die. She has more than him; a family that loves her, a boyfriend, she is popular. Everyone wants to be her or be with her, because she is pretty, friendly, just perfect.

Jake looked up from while running and saw Sunghoon's house in the distance. A few more feet and he was there.

His eyes widened in relief and quickly he looked over his shoulder. Jay was nowhere to be seen, thankfully.

He had to know that he was on his way to Sunghoon's house, because he had heard everything he had said at the police station.

Fortunately, Jay was nowhere in sight, so Jake could quickly warn the couple.

Jake quickly ran to the front door of Sunghoon's house and knocked on the door. He bent down a little and rested his hands on his knees. He was panting.

For a few seconds he stood at the door, no answer.

Jake sighed and straightened up. Anxiously, he looked around. His mouth fell open and he stumbled backwards in fear. His back collided with Sunghoon's front door.

Suddenly, Jay appeared from afar. He ran hard towards him.

As fast as he could, Jake turned around and quickly knocked on the door a few more times. As many times and as hard as he could, his knuckles began to bleed.

"Open up, please," Jake yelled softly under his breath.

He looked over his shoulder and saw Jay coming closer and closer.

"OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR! PLEASE, OPEN IT! SUNGHOON! JIWOO! OPEN THE DOOR, PLEASE!" Jake yelled, now loudly, almost crying. The tears were already forming in his eyes.

His screams echoed down the street. Jay heard it too and stopped running.

He grabbed his gun from his pocket and pointed it at Jake, not knowing it was him. "Turn around!" Jay yelled at the boy at Sunghoon's front door.

Jake froze in place and stopped knocking when he heard his voice.

He was there... Right behind him.

He was there and the couple didn't open the door for him.

Shit.

Slowly Jake turned around, jaw clenched, and slowly lifted his hands in the air. His hands were shaking from fear.

Jay stood a short distance from him, not far but not close either. A gun he held in his hands was pointed at him.

When Jay saw who was finally facing him, his eyes widened in shock, but still kept the gun pointed at him. "Jake?" Jay said in disbelief.

Jake looked Jay straight in the eye with fear in his eyes. Jay's radiated nothing but anger. "Why do you want to kill Jiwoo?"

"Why did you overhear me?" Jay asked, ignoring Jake's question.

"I asked you something!" Jake shouted as he let his hands hang next to his body again, the ones he had in the air earlier.

"I asked you something too!" Jay yelled back, angrier. His whole face turned red. "Why are you such an annoyance when I just want to carry out something?"

Jake sighed. "Why, Jay? Why do you want to kill Jiwoo?" He asked, more quietly.

Jay shrugged. "I don't know," Jay replied. "Maybe because she's a murderer? Maybe because she makes my best friend feel terrible? Maybe because I HATE her!"

"But if you kill her now, aren't you a murderer too?" Jake asked, completely ignoring the other sentences.

Jay lowered his gun and walked over to Jake. He pursed his lips before giving Jake a slap on the cheek with the gun, out of nowhere. "Fuck you!"

Jake groaned as he fell sideways to the ground, his cheek turning red.

Again, Jay pointed his gun at him. Jake looked up with a bleeding nose as he quickly wiped away a tear. "Is this seriously how you want to end up, Jay?"

Jay bit his lower lip and loaded his gun. "What do you know?" He asked.

Jake, trying to get up, received a smack from Jay's foot on his back, causing him to fall flat on his stomach on the floor again. He groaned.

"What do you know? What did you hear, Jake?" Jay repeated his question. "Answer or die here on the spot."

The boy on the ground looked up anxiously. Answer or die?

Is he going to die?

Quickly, Jake wiped away another tear and sobbed. "I know you want to kill Jiwoo," Jake replied, honestly.

Secretly, while Jake was talking, he knocked on the front door a few more times, hoping that maybe this time it would be answered.

Slowly, Jake stood up and Jay took a few steps backwards, still pointing the gun at the boy in front of him.

"Stay there!" Jay yelled.

"But, please don't do that. Don't kill her... You know what? Kill me, instead of her."

Jay rolled his eyes. "Faithful friend?" He chuckled.

Jake fell silent, swallowed, then nodded his head briefly. A tear rolled down his cheeks. "Yes, actually yes," he said. "Don't hurt Jiwoo, hurt me. Don't kill Jiwoo, just kill me."

Jay shot up in laughter. "How sweet!" He giggled. "Anyway, I'm going to kill Jiwoo anyway, even if you're not there anymore. You have no control over it anyway because you're an emotional good-for-nothing or have died a long time ago!"

"What do you mean died?" Suddenly, a voice sounded behind Jake.

Jake turned his head, only to see that the door had finally been opened by Sunghoon and Jiwoo. They both seemed sleepy.

Jake widened his eyes and turned his back to Jay, facing the couple. He lip-synched the word "GO." Jiwoo looked at Sunghoon and Sunghoon at her with a confused look on their faces. They apparently didn't realize what Jake meant.

He gave up. He's going to sacrifice his life for them....

"Jay wants to kill Jiwoo!" Jake shouted loudly.

Sunghoon gasped as Jiwoo fell silent. "Why?" Sunghoon asked as he grabbed Jiwoo's hand and rubbed the upper hand of her with his tumb.

"It doesn't matter why! RUN! RUN WHILE YOU STILL-"

...

"JAKE!"