Chapter Twenty-One

Azure

*******

(A/N): This chapter was pre-written hence why I could publish it :P However I cannot guarantee when the next one will be released. Look on my message board for context!

*******

Nononono

I rolled her onto her side. She looked dead. She wasn't breathing, and her entire body was washed white. 

Nononono 

I was distinctly aware of someone crashing down next to me when I extended a shaking hand, palpating for her pulse. Moments stretched into hours, and hours stretched into eternities as my fingers searched, coming up empty. It was only when I felt the faint beat under her skin did I allow myself to breathe again. I hovered my other hand just below her nose, where weak puffs of air brushed past my fingers.

Alive. She was alive. 

But not well. 

I retracted my hands, staring. It had all happened so fast. I'd been observing from afar, admiring her ability to hold her own during the duel. The next, her eyes were flicking blue -- the cerulean blue of Azriel's eyes -- and that's when it started to spiral. Her face took on a dead look as she fell to her knees, body trembling. The whole grounds went silent, and it was in those moments, where I slapped and shook and yelled at her to no avail, that I realised I couldn't save her.

That she would have to endure that suffering alone.

I blinked back tears. Just what had Azriel shown Kyra in those moments of panic? But, more than that, how had he shown Kyra those things? I knew it was possible for mates to show each other visions, but Azriel wasn't Kyra's True Mate. Could it be possible that Azriel was strong enough to break that law, too?

I swallowed. Just what were we up against?

"Is she okay?"

I jerked my head around, suddenly aware of the Delta at my side. His skin was pale, but I couldn't quite read the look in his eyes as he scanned Kyra's form. Shock, perhaps, just like the rest of us. 

I turned my head further. The children were staring at us, some crying whilst others looked outright horrified. They all stared at her as though she were some alien, like a volatile beast who couldn't be trusted.

My blood boiled. I stood in an instant. 

"Be damn grateful!" I snarled, and all the eyes snagged to me. Even the Delta and Alpha watched me with bated breath. "All you've done since we've come here is treat her like shit. Do you have any idea what she's gone through? You little shits wouldn't survive a fraction of what she's endured!"

I sucked in angry, ragged breaths. I saw the sting of my words register on their faces, but I didn't care. How could I care when my friend was lying on the ground, unconscious, with the weight of a world on her shoulders? The weight of a villain? I pointed to her.

"You know what she is? She's a survivor. She's a saviour, and yet you're treating her like the enemy. That bastard Azriel is coming for you all. He's coming and she's going to be the only one who can stop him. Your mothers will die. Your fathers will perish. You will bleed out slowly on these grasses, because you know what you'll be? Useless. You'll be useless. You are nothing compared to what we are up against. You hear me? Nothing!"