Chapter 15

Elise and Talia exchanged a startled look at that statement. "Umm... What do you mean?" Talia managed to stutter.

Veronica moved over to the couch and had a seat. "What do you know about your ghosts?"

"Not a lot," Elise admitted. "They're stuck here in the house, and we have limited ability to talk to them." She could have said a lot more but didn't want to give up a lot of information.

The medium smiled, then nodded. "You don't have to say it. Even if you had come to my shop, I would have seen their marks all over you. You obviously have a close relationship with them, much closer than most, and I think I'm here to help with more, yes?"

Elise slumped, trying not to acknowledge the truth of the statement, but the woman seemed to know much more than they expected. This was either an amazing charade, or she had some ability that most don't. "Yes," she admitted softly. "We want them to be whole again. How can you tell all this?"

Veronica frowned at the comment, but then nodded. "Do you know what a ghost is?"

Talia and Elise glanced at each other before shaking their heads before Talia piped up. "No, not exactly. They seem to be changing a bit though, but not fully."

The older woman nodded happily. "Yes! They can do that. A ghost, or a spirit, is an unbound soul. Normally, they would be bound to their own body, but after death they're set free. There are many theories as to why some souls stay as ghosts instead of passing on, but the most common theory is that they have unfinished business here in the mortal world, even if they themselves don't know what it is. The movies get them wrong a lot, portraying them as malevolent forces that will attack humans. In reality, they are affected by their environment. The energy of where they spend their time is what determines their attitude. You two are obviously in love with one another, and I have little doubt that the energy of your relationship has given them some newfound strength and energy. I met my first ghost as a child, and I spent a lot of time with her. I learned a lot, and was able to see signs, like those that are here to sense their presence. You ghosts obviously enjoy having you here."

"Yes!" blurted Elise. "That is what they said! They can feel the love! But we want to be able to touch them, to hug them!"

Amy and Paige nodded happily, that was exactly what was happening! The more love that the girls shared, the better for them!

"But they're limited, dear. Living beings are a combination of the body and the soul. They work in concert with one another. The soul that remains after the body is gone has all the knowledge and internal emotions that the person had, but without the body to pass on new sensations, it is limited to what it can do or feel. I'm sorry to say that you and your friends may be stuck where you are," Veronica explained.

Hearing that, Paige and Amy handled it better than Talia and Elise. The ghosts had already accepted their fate, and it was better to bring their efforts to a close than obsess about it.

"What if we had another body to bind them to?" Elise asked softly.

Veronica quickly shook her head. "My dear, that you don't want to do. A dead body already had its chance. Trying to put a soul into one would not be something that your friends would want. That would be making some sort of a dangerous undead creature."

"No. Wait a minute. That isn't what I meant. You said that a soul is bonded to a body, right?" Elise confirmed. She'd just had a crazy idea and just had to get an answer for it. "What if I wanted to share my body with another soul. Could I do that? Would there be a way for two souls to live together like that?"