|Chapter 24

I could feel my clammy hands as I exchange some words with the neuro surgeon

I could feel my clammy hands as I exchange some words with the neuro surgeon. The child is indeed mentally retarded. 

I couldn't take myself to face them again and I knew how emotional I would turn if I see their heartbreaking faces and hence I requested her to take over the case and left the hospital for some fresh air.

After making sure there were no patients left for me today, I rode off to the beach. A place where I haven't been since a long time by now. It was almost going to be dark and it was a surprise to see only few people near the shore. I sat under shade and stared into the horizon. 

I was someone who hated blood when it comes near sight and surely had a weak heart to even touch a gash but look at me now, almost doing the same every single day. It is like a circle and has no end. Just a small milestone while I see the fond smile on the patient's face and then back to needles and ledgers. 

I vividly remember the day when I went into the dissection room for the first time and threw up due to the odor of formaldehyde and seeing those dead bodies. I was on verge of giving up at that point itself but then again I didn't study pulling all nighters to just come back home bawling that the pale white skin of bodies sicken me.

Well, apparently to my parents medical profession is the only place I should be since it is the 'most respected' job. Hell with the respect and money, it made me lose my social life, strained my relationship with everyone, gave me dark circles and stress acne, made me lose all the chances of enjoying teenage and early twenties life-

"You gotta be fucking kidding me, Aakriti", I snapped out of my little rant session to see Aadrik running towards me. His hair looked disheveled maybe due to running his hands over them too many times and... he looked fucking hot.

I shrugged away my hormonal thoughts and raised my eyebrows.

"Weren't you supposed to be on a two week holiday?", he folded his arms annoyed.

I gave him a sheepish smile. "I just had to since my friend took leave",  he sighed in disbelief hearing me.

"Whatever", he held my hand and dragged me to the parking lot. Thankfully there were no reporters who could sneak in a photo of us. He has been extremely cautious regarding this as I wasn't yet comfortable with those flashy lights which I am really grateful for.

After removing the blazers, he folded the ends of the sleeves and started the engine. I was trying to keep my breath steady as I started to hyperventilate. I seriously don't know why all of a sudden I was this...eager.

"Can we have some dinner outside today?", he asked breaking my chain of thoughts.

"I won't mind", I hummed looking at the passing skyscrapers. The night life of the city is so different but beautiful. The golden lights always shine brighter in dark just like it is today.

"You seem pretty lost these days. Is anything wrong?", Aadrik voiced out his concern.

I shook my head smiling a little. "Nothing of that sort. I just feel... we should take out some time for ourselves. Its almost going to be a year since we are married and we have barely spent a day together."

"I agree. The past months have been so chaotic with a new branch opening and stock sale going down. Even you have been too busy that we didn't spend any quality time. Doesn't even feel like we are married", he chuckled dryly.

"Mom informed that they are visiting your grandparents' house. Should we join them?", The only elder still alive for Aadrik is his nani (mom's mom). They shifted to near my home when he was around eight.

"We should. I miss my family a lot and many couldn't come to wedding as it was in hurry. And also, I feel we should go out after visiting them. Somewhere...just us", he winked making me roll my eyes but I nodded.

"So then tomorrow it is."

"Wait tomorrow? That's so early, I haven't informed- "

"What do you mean? Can't you cancel whatever you do for two weeks?", I asked in disbelief.

"I will try", he was hesitant.

"I will pack your bag, finish your work by tomorrow afternoon. Can you?"

"Strawberry cheese cake is here", he grinned excitedly making me chuckle. This guy would never grow up.

- Flashback -

"Aakriti, come here", I groaned knowing why my mom is calling me.

She wants me to meet her friend's son. I have no interest to socialise with any of the kids these days. They are...weird.

"Aagayi Mumma (Coming mom)", I ran towards the backyard where everyone was seated.

My sister was playing with a girl of her age and I saw a little guy in minion printed t shirt sipping juice and giving my mom toothy smile. I am so sure my mom has adopted him already. Whatever...I am still here.

"Hello, Aakriti", an uncle of my dad's age pulled me near him.

"Hello. How are you?", I asked like usual. He smiled fondly and praised me. Seriously, that was bare minimum.

"She is so cute. I just want to take her with me", a woman pinched my cheeks very hard. Ouch!

"You can take her when she is old enough to", my mom laughed. What do you mean?

I saw the same little guy side eye me from the corner.

"Aadrik!", the woman called her son who waved at me and came running as if he was waiting for this.

Boys....

"Hello! I am Aadrik Agnihotri, studying in grade 3. I love to play games and I want to be a JCB driver", he held my hand and shook vigorously. I awkwardly smiled and nodded.

"I am Aakriti Marwaha, studying in grade 3. I love to...paint and eat", I replied and he beamed even more.

"I love to eat too! It's so good and I can forget homework", the elders laughed listening to our conversation.

"Come! I will show you my new garbage truck", I took him inside excitedly.

"Really? I have been asking mom to buy me a new crane and she doesn't even listen these days", I looked sad saying that.

Aww! I melted seeing his small doe like eyes looking disheartened.

"Don't worry! We can play together till your mom gets one. Be patient and pester her till you get it. Don't stop till you get what you want", I winked and put my new truck in front of him.

He looked at it with wide eyes of fascination. It was a sape green truck with red stripes. It can load and unload items too.

"You are so cool!", he screamed and kissed me on the cheek. I stood frozen and he looked at me confused.

"What happened?", he asked afraid of what he did wrong.

"What if I get pregnant?", I asked in fear.

"Don't worry. We will play mom and dad tomorrow. Even teach them science and math", he grinned again and sat on the floor patting his side for me to join him.

I giggled sitting beside him. He is so cute, I am going to dieeeeeeeeeee

- Flashback ends -

My cheeks flushed relishing that old memory. Ugh! That was so embarrassing and we couldn't look into each other's eyes after sex ed class. Those were the days...

"Aakriti are you done?", I heard him call me from living room. I gestured the worker to take two bags as I carried another.

I don't exactly have a good feeling about this. I don't know why.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Read • Vote • Comment • Share