|Chapter 28

✎𝙰𝚊𝚔𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚒 𝙿𝙾𝚅

𝙰𝚊𝚔𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚒 𝙿𝙾𝚅

Everything looks as hollow as the setting sun over the horizon. The sleepless nights I spent in the trauma center, those tantrums in operation theatres and the sweet scent of caffeine which graces me every time with the same warm hug is making me overwhelmed with emotions. 

Was it all just an illusion? I toiled every single day without a motive and just to relive the pain of others. In the end, it was me who was thrown to dirt without an incentive. I appear to be so feeble and fragile under the predatory eyes of people, that I forget to be assertive. 

I tolerate those harsh needles and fail to remind myself about my family. Maybe they just weren't able to see through the blinding flash of power and prestige. Because roses are all beautiful, but you always have a sting when you pick up the most precious one.

Once I take a good look and find myself out in the open, a peace settles in my heart. The adrenaline kicks in and my mind floats. I have escaped the quagmire. It all feels so distant now, so superficial.

The sand was coiled and gritty between my toes, and it smelled salty and sweet at once. Aadrik's muscular arms slightly brushed against my shoulder which forced me to notice his mirthful scrutiny aimed right through my eyes.

"Are you afraid of something?", his voice soft and light like the wings made my lips quiver to move up.

"Not until I have you", a playful wink was he needed to let out an amusing chuckle.

He drifted a bit closer-- a tantalizing shiver drove over my veins due to the hot breath near the edge of my ears. I flinched slightly as the contact of his lips over the earring tickled me.

The high tide diminishing under our feet and thunderous echoes of raspy waves brought us back to gazing at the tangerine and crimson hues of the sky.

He shuffled a bit trying to balance himself over the mushy sand and held out a hand to make me stand. 

Our hands intertwined into each other like the flowering vines of woodland. The ocean breathed again making me tiptoe over the now freezing flutters. As I give my last attempt at balancing, a splash of saltwater catches me off guard.

With a look of disbelief, I fall on my knees glaring at him with every ounce of vexation. Huffing, I paddled my hand into the water and directed it at him as he continued to irk me with his boyish giggles.

Slowly wiping the remaining droplets of water, he arched an eyebrow indicating that the challenge was accepted. Without a second to comprehend, he scoops me into his bulky arms and throws me into the water like a bag of rice.

"Is that what you needed, sweetie?", he stuck his tongue out mocking my failure.

"I just want to choke you with a nail embedded belt right now", I forwarded my hands to hold him from fleeing.