The Long Game

[Observation deck]

(A traffic report is on a public viewscreen.)

WOMAN [OC]: Solar flare activity has increased across space lanes five, five, six and all commercial flights are advised to avoid

(The Tardis materialises, and the Doctor, Maddie, Y/N, and Rose step out.)

DOCTOR: So, it's two hundred thousand, and it's a spaceship. No, wait a minute, space station, and er, go and try that gate over there. Off you go.

ROSE: Two hundred thousand?

MADDIE: Two hundred thousand.

ROSE: Right.

(Rose opens the Tardis door.)

ROSE: Adam? Out you come.

(Adam comes out, and his jaw drops.)

ADAM: Oh, my God.

ROSE: Don't worry, you'll get used to it.

ADAM: Where are we?

ROSE: Good question. Let's see. So, er, judging by the architecture, I'd say we're around the year two hundred thousand. If you listen

ADAM: Yeah.

ROSE: Engines. We're on some sort of space station. Yeah, definitely a space station. It's a bit warm in here. They could turn the heating down. Tell you what - let's try that gate. Come on!

(Rose leads the men through the metal gate to a massive viewing window.)

ROSE: Here we go! And this is. I'll let the Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N describe it.

Y/N: The Fourth great and bountiful Human Empire. And there it is, planet Earth at it's height. Covered with mega-cities, five moons, population ninety six billion. The hub of a galactic domain stretching across a million planets, a million species, with mankind right in the middle.

(Adam faints.)

DOCTOR: He's your boyfriend.

ROSE: Not anymore.

[Floor 139]

(The space station has a central hub with three wheels turning.)

MADDIE: Come on, Adam. Open your mind. You're going to like this. Fantastic period of history. The human race at its most intelligent. Culture, art, politics. This era has got fine food, good manners.

MAN: Out of the way!

(Suddenly there are a lot of people bustling around, opening up food vending stations and serving customers at their counters.)

CHEF: Thank you very much indeed. Somebody there? That's great. What do you want, love? All right, keep moving. I'll be with you lot in a minute. Here you are. One at a time. What now, what was it? Kronkburger with cheese, kronkburger with pajatos. Do you want a drink? Oi, you, mate. Stop pushing. Get back. I said, back.

ROSE: Fine cuisine?

Y/N: Our watches must be wrong. No, it's fine. It's weird.

ROSE: That's what comes of showing off. Your history's not as good as you 3 thought it was.

DOCTOR: Our history's perfect.

ROSE: Well, obviously not.

ADAM: They're all human. What about the millions of planets, the millions of species? Where are they?

MADDIE: Good question. Actually, that is a good question. Adam, our old mate, you must be starving.

ADAM: No, I'm just a bit time sick.