Father's Day

[Memory - Jackie's bedroom]

(A photograph of a laughing man with thinning hair.)

ROSE [OC]: Peter Alan Tyler my dad. The most wonderful man in the world. Born 15th September 1954.

JACKIE: Come here, Rose. Come here

(Jackie has got a photograph album open. Little Rose joins her on the bed.)

JACKIE: Who's that? It's your daddy. You weren't old enough to remember when he died. 1987, 7th of November. Do you remember what I told you? The day that Stuart Hoskins and Sarah Clarke got married. He was always having adventures. Oh, he would have loved to have seen you now.

[Tardis]

ROSE: That's what Mum always says. So I was thinking, could we, could we go and see my dad when he was still alive?

DOCTOR: Where's this come from, all of a sudden?

ROSE: All right then, if we can't, if it goes against the laws of times or something, then never mind, just leave it.

MADDIE: No, we can do anything. We're just more worried about you.

ROSE: I want to see him.

Y/N: Your wish is our command. But be careful what you wish for.

[Register office]

(The Doctor, Maddie, Y/N, and Rose attend her parent's wedding.)

REGISTRAR: I, Peter Alan Tyler, take you, Jacqueline Angela Suzette Prentice

PETE: I, Peter Alan Tyler, take you, Jacqueline Suzanne Suzette Anita

JACKIE: Oh, just carry on. It's good enough for Lady Di.

ROSE: I thought he'd be taller.

REGISTRAR: To be my lawful wedded wife, to love and behold till death us do part.

JACKIE [OC]: He died so close to home.

[Memory - Jackie's bedroom]

JACKIE: I wasn't there. Nobody was. It was a hit and run driver. Never found out who. He was dead when the ambulance got there. I only wish there'd been someone there for him.

ROSE [OC]: I want to be that someone, so he doesn't die alone.

[Tardis]

DOCTOR: November the 7th?

ROSE: 1987.

(The time rotor starts up.)

[Waterley Street]

(The Tardis has parked herself between a telephone junction box and a road sign, by park railings. Never Can Say Goodbye is playing somewhere.)

ROSE: It's so weird. The day my father died. I thought it'd be all sort of grim and stormy. It's just an ordinary day.

MADDIE: The past is another country. 1987's just the Isle of Wight. Are you sure about this?

ROSE: Yeah.

[Jordan Road]

ROSE: This is it. Jordan Road. He was late. He'd been to get a wedding present, a vase. Mum always said, that stupid vase.

(A green van comes around the corner. D602 PKW)

ROSE: He got out of his car.

(It pulls into the kerb.)

ROSE: And crossed the road. Oh, God. This is it.

(As Pete gets out of the van, Y/N takes Rose's hand. A beige car comes round the corner - NEH 793W - and straight into Pete. The driver shields his face with his arm and keeps going, leaving Pete and the broken vase in the middle of the road. Pete tries to move.)