The Empty Child

[Tardis]

(The Tardis is in pursuit of a small spacecraft.)

ROSE: What's the emergency?

DOCTOR: It's mauve.

ROSE: Mauve?

MADDIE: The universally recognised colour for danger.

ROSE: What happened to red?

Y/N: That's just humans. By everyone else's standards, red's camp. Oh, the misunderstandings. All those red alerts, all that dancing. It's got a very basic flight computer. We've hacked in, slaved the Tardis. Where it goes, we go.

ROSE: And that's safe, is it?

DOCTOR: Totally.

(Bang!)

MADDIE: Okay, reasonably. Should have said reasonably there. No, no, no, no! It's jumping time tracks, getting away from us.

ROSE: What exactly is this thing?

Y/N: No idea.

ROSE: Then why are we chasing it?

DOCTOR: It's mauve and dangerous, and about thirty seconds from the centre of London.

[Alleyway]

(The Tardis materialises in a back alley between two terraces. The sort of crowded housing that no longer exists.)

MADDIE: Do you know how long you can knock around space without happening to bump into Earth?

ROSE: Five days? Or is that just when we're out of milk?

Y/N: Of all the species in all the Universe and it has to come out of a cow.

(Something is watching them from above.)

DOCTOR: Must have come down somewhere quite close. Within a mile, anyway. And it can't have been more than a few weeks ago. Maybe a month.

ROSE: A month? We were right behind it.

MADDIE: It was jumping time tracks all over the place. We're bound to be a little bit out. Do you want to drive?

ROSE: Yeah. How much is a little?

Y/N: A bit.

ROSE: Is that exactly a bit?

DOCTOR: Ish.

ROSE: What's the plan, then? Are you 3 going to do a scan for alien tech or something?

MADDIE: Rose, it hit the middle of London with a very loud bang. I'm going to ask.

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N show Rose their psychic paper IDs for the occasion.)

ROSE: Doctor John Smith and his wife Louisa Smith and their daughter F/N (Fake Name) Smith, Ministry of Asteroids.

Y/N: It's psychic paper. It tells you

ROSE: Whatever you 3 want it to tell me, I remember.

(They come to a door marked Deliveries Only.)

DOCTOR: Sorry.

ROSE: Not very Spock, is it, just asking.

MADDIE: Door, music, people. What do you think?

ROSE: I think you 3 should do a scan for alien tech. Give me some Spock, for once. Would it kill you 3?

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N open the door with the sonic screwdriver, and looks at Rose's Union Flag top.)