Conversation over coffee

I walked into the classroom and found nobody looking at me. I suppose they preferred to ignore my existence rather than confront it. Chabashira came in and we walked to the gym, as usual, and sat in our usual seats near the usual people, but the atmosphere was anything but. It was tense, suffocating and uncomfortable for almost everyone.

I was observing peoples expressions when they looked at me. Ryueen and Sakayanagi glanced at me, but ignored me soon after and Ishizaki waved at me along with albert, but the person who I was most interested in observing wasn't here. Ichinose Honami hadn't attended today's tape viewing, but as to why she didn't show wasn't to hard too figure out.

"It's a brand new day people. Stop with those gloomy faces come on we have new things to see."

The voice and his antics weren't helping even slightly.

"Wow, the energy was so exciting the other day, whatever. For context, this video is going be just after the rules for the Zodiac exam were revealed."

"Well, it's just about time," said Horikita.

Once the clock struck 8:00, both of our phones beeped simultaneously.

We immediately checked our phones. After we'd finished reading the contents of the message at almost the exact same time, Horikita turned her phone to show me the message. I did the same. We compared what was on each other's phones, confirming the finer details.

"After thorough consideration, you have not been chosen to be the VIP. Please remember to be a team player as your group tackles the challenges of this test. The exam begins today and will be held over a period of three days. Members of the Dragon group should gather in the Dragon room located on the second deck."

My message was almost the same as Horikita's. Of course, the name of the group differed, but everything else matched up perfectly.

"I suppose neither of us was chosen, then."

While putting our phones away, we shifted in our seats.

"No, we weren't chosen. I'm not sure if we should be happy or sad."

"I guess being the one most people are looking for, it might be scary," Ishizaki stated and broke the silence encapsulating the room.

"Yeah, I agree. It's way too much effort," Kaneda said.

"Yeah. If you're chosen, then you could lead your group to any of the outcomes," I reasoned.

Being the VIP in this test placed you at an overwhelming advantage.  If you kept up a good poker face, you could easily obtain 500,000 points.

"Even so, I don't like how they wrote it. It's like they're saying I'm not qualified to be the VIP."

Even though she was on the dream team, Horikita still thought of herself as working alone. That was just like her.

They're all looking at me with disapproving eyes or rather, that's their default reaction to looking at me now, but Manabu didn't seem to care. 

"I agree, it's a very Suzune like thing to do," Manabu commented.

"I don't want to agree with that opinion," Horikita muttered.

"In this test, there's a huge difference between the chosen students and the rest. Everyone who wasn't chosen will need to struggle to find the VIP. The school said there were no disadvantages, but that was a lie. Unless the VIP is in your class, there's a high probability that the point difference between classes will widen even further."