Bottle Woman

(I love how all the other chapter titles have something simple about the chapter and then there's this)

I ran out of cereal.

This is a problem, how am I going to go through the day without breakfast? Many people say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I generally agree with this as the energy from the food will let a person's brain function at its maximum capabilities, but it seems that today I will have to get through the day with a cup of tea.

I walked to school and today I found that Ichinose wasn't notably leaving at her usual time. She usually walks a couple of metres behind me every day, but today I found that she wasn't there. It could be possible that she was sick, but Ichinose knows that if she misses too many days that there will be penalties, so she wouldn't risk the class suffering for her health.

The only logical explanation I have left is that she left earlier than me to avoid me. I can understand why, but it's a little odd walking without anyone around me. The usual students that hang around and get to class just before the bell goes have also disappeared. It seems that most people are avoiding me now.

I sat in my usual seat in the theatre and the voice came back.

"I ask you, people of the theatre, if you found a turtle lying on its back what would you do?"

I saw Horikita's heart sink for a moment. She knew what was going to be shown. This was going to be amusing.

Most people had the answer of flipping the turtle over, they had the same thought process that I had. There isn't a reason to save a turtle from its predicament, but there isn't a reason to abandon it and leave it to fend for itself.

"Thank you for humouring my question. There is no context, so enjoy."

It was odd hearing a sincere thank you.

I saw that Horikita Suzune had called. It was unusual for her to reach out. Even if Horikita had some business with me, she generally texted. Curious, I decided to call her back. However, no matter how many times the phone rang, Horikita didn't answer.

I did think it was strange, but I decided to give up. I placed my phone on the table and went back to making dinner. Since I already had rice on hand, I settled on fried rice as a simple option. Once I added the egg, the finishing touches were all that remained.

If this was a while ago, Haruka would probably respond with a cheerful and surprised expression about me cooking and then force me to cook for all of them. Although, there was no response from her. She just stared at the screen with a blank expression.

"Oh? Suzune were you having a little trouble?" Ryueen grinned.

He wasn't even able to hold his excitement. Horikita ignored him, but I have no doubt the teasing and insulting would ramp up from here.

Suddenly, my phone rang again.

By the time I turned off the burner and went to my phone, the ringing stopped. Another call from Horikita. I tried calling back again, but she didn't answer. This was getting suspicious.

Maybe Horikita just happened to become busy right after she tried calling? Considering her personality, it was hard to imagine that was the case. She was the type of person who called only when calm. Even if something had happened, ending the call twice in a row, and not picking up afterward, was strange. I concluded that Horikita had probably been caught off guard by something unexpected.