Fortune-telling

I had to miss a day of school yesterday and it's probably the first official blemish on my record. I prided myself on my perfect attendance rate and now it's ruined. I didn't really care after a few minutes since I could just read books all day after that.

This new routine seems like it's been going on forever. After the ship I expected us to go back into special exams but now due to this being so prominent in our daily lives, special exams have been pushed back until this is done. Whatever happens after the students have watched every video available is something that I don't know.

I was taken away from my thoughts when I saw an exhausted Ike and Sudo. I considered walking up to them, but when they saw me they actually walked up to me.

"Hey... Ayanokouji, how's it goin'?" Ike asked somewhat casually.

"I'm good, you guys seem exhausted though."

"Man, the chairman worked me to the bone. At one point he made me get coffee for all the teachers and staff in the school," Sudo complained.

At first, you think that there are only 12 teachers and a couple more staff to get coffee for, but in actuality, there are several staff members in the many stores as well the security guards all around the school. Getting the coffee is one thing, but delivering it to them across long distances as well as memorising each and every order would put a toll on even me.

Sudo was rightfully exhausted, but I had no clue what manual labour Ike had done.

"What did you end up doing for your punishment Ike?" I asked him directly.

"I had to clean the pool, every single goddamn pool. And even after I had cleaned them, they would end up getting dirty the next day because of club training and lessons," Ike looked even more exhausted than Sudo.

A small question was nagging me, however. Why were they interacting with me so casually? I had assumed that Ike's gesture of asking to not get me in trouble was just to make himself seem better, but he's acting perfectly normal with me even now.

After some contemplation, I decided to ask them, "Why are you guys being so normal with me? The entire school hates me, so it would be better for you guys not to interact with me."

I posed my question with an extra warning. If it was just the original question then they would just give me an answer but because of my warning, they would be even less reluctant since it seems that I'm looking out for their wellbeing.

The two, however, looked baffled.

"Did I ask something weird?"

"Of course man, you saved our asses back then," Sudo immediately responded.

"I only did what I thought was necessary, and it doesn't make up for the other bad stuff I did," I picked their brains even further.

Although contrary to my belief, Ike looked a little embarrassed, "Honestly, I think what you did was bad, but I can't just make fun of you when you helped me out."

These were all emotional points. Logically speaking, I had committed crimes and broken people all for my own selfish reasons. I shouldn't be forgiven.

"What about the stuff with Karuizawa?" This was the last question I had for them.

If they were fine with what I had done with Kei then I knew that they were lying or they were delusional.

"What you did was really bad, but she didn't kick you out, right? So I don't really know what to think about it," Sudo grumbled.

It seems that they disagreed with my methods with Karuizawa judging by Sudo's disapproving words, but they seem to have looked past that. I wondered if this was the beginning of when people might accept me. But it's also undeniable that there is some bias because I had helped them out a little.