the best feeling

The best is having you near me. Your words spill around me comfortably like a warm blanket on a cold night. Every time I sit down, the leg or shoulder brushes mine just to let me know you're there. The best is seeing you light up the moment a little kid nears you. When they say hello, you open your mouth to reply, a smirk forming in the corner of your lips. The best is knowing that you'll listen whenever the problems get me down. The best is knowing that your grip will tighten on my shoulder whenever I lay my head down on your chest. You burn with energy bright the moment your focus settles. The sun could not have such a blaze that your eyes hold when they focus on the goal. The best is listening to you speak whenever you are down, not just because I know that you will do the same for me but because I am privileged enough to hear those words that you wouldn't tell anyone else. The best is hearing that I keep you smiling, a thing that is rare to see. The best is seeing that smile curl from the middle of your lips until it spreads to the very corners of your cheeks and knowing that I caused it. The best is  watching unobserved that smile when you stare at the babies or family. It's a private moment that few see, the side of you that people don't know. The best is seeing your helping hand reach out and tug the zipper up on the baby's jacket to keep him warm. I will forever miss the moment that the shoulder bumps mine back when I gently poke and prod. It's the little things that draw it together as if it were a puzzle, and I'm fitting the pieces together. The girl who talks too much; the girl who cries too much; the girl who leans on others too much; the girl who fights too much; the girl who argues too much; all becomes the girl who loves too much. The best is knowing you love me too. Those are the best feelings.