Midnight

Dark but comfortable, the breeze on your face of the taste of fall dipping its toes in the water. You haven't taken the plunge into the amber and crimson river yet, but heartbeat steady and goodbyes felt, not said. You vanish into the night as the gate clicked shut, radio overtaking the air until you click it off. The road home is quiet but your thoughts roar in your ears. The silence comes welcome from the day's work and those voices. You can't stand the voices but in the dead of night is when the other voices crowd your head with all sorts of doubts and wonderings and mistakes and overwhelming waves of how to live up to expectations the next day. The key stopped the roaring monster and as you sit there in silence, you wonder what it would be like to just drive forever in that calm torment of your mind and when you step out of the protection of the red beast, you notice that you feel insecure without its armor and the night air closes around you like a heavy blanket. You fumble with your keys, the door remaining unlocked. Safe haven granted inside. You let the key sink into the hole and click, it swings open. As the glass door swings against your back you wonder why you feared the darkness for it is not the absence of darkness that light is born but the removal of light that casts the darkness. God made them both and as you curl up under the blankets and the book rests open upon your lap, the device beside you buzzes with the final goodnight, a love note as you finally rest your eyes on the love book in front of you and realize that you are quite comfortable in the dark as long as the one who loves you keeps His quiet watch and as the clock ticks to twelve, you close your eyes knowing that the next day will not bring darkness but the sun will chase away the moon.