30

JJ still sat in my lap, laying against my chest. I pressed small circles into her back with my thumb. "JJ.." I said softly, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"There's nothing to talk about. I know what I'm going to do." She said. "I want to get an abortion."

I figured that's what she would choose. "That's up to you. Why don't you spend more time with it. We can figure it all out in the morning."

"No." She shook her head, looking like she was about to cry again. "I want to do it now. I want to go now."

"Like right now?" I asked. "I want it to be over. I want to go right now."

"Are you sure JJ?" I asked, kissing the top of her head. "We can't go right now, but if your doctor has time you might be able to go in today."

"I'm sure. I want to go today."

GWU hospital, 6:30 pm

"Jennifer? Are listening?"

JJ sat on the exam table, her mind clearly elsewhere. "It's extremely important you understand what's going to happen." Dr. Montgomery told her.

JJ ran her hands over her jeans. "Sorry. I'm listening."

"Good. Your pregnancy is less than two weeks along which is very early. The pill is the least invasive and best option in my opinion. Is that how you wish to proceed?"

"Yes." JJ said. I gave her my hand, and she squeezed it tightly. "Okay. And you understand that taking these pills will end your pregnancy, and once you take them it is irreversible, correct?"

"Yes. I understand."

"The abortion "pill" is actually two separate pills. Once you get home, you'll take the first pill. It's called Mifepristone, and it's taken orally. It is going to block your body's production of progesterone, which is a necessary hormone to keep a pregnancy viable. That will cause the embryo to detach from the uterine wall. Do you understand?"

"Yes. I understand."

"24 hours after the first pill is taken you will take the second pill. It's called misoprostal. You'll place the pill under your tongue and keep it in place for 30 minutes before swallowing. The Misoprostal will cause your body to shed the uterine lining and empty your uterus. This is going to end your pregnancy."

"I understand." JJ said quietly. I kissed her hand gently, trying to settle her nerves. "Alright. The first pill can be taken as soon as you get home. 24 hours later when you take the second pill, it's most likely going to feel like a very heavy, crampy period. Possibly worse. It should only last about a day or so. If the heavy bleeding hasn't stopped after 3 days make sure you come back and see me, because there are very rare complications that can happen."

"I will." JJ said. "Can I go?"

"Yes. Make sure to drink lots of fluids and rest. It's good if you have someone staying with you." She said. "I'm staying with her." I confirmed, squeezing JJ's shoulder.

"Thank you. Bye Dr. Montgomery." JJ said, waving as we walked out. "Goodbye Jennifer."

As we drove home, JJ held the bag with the pills in it tightly. She didn't speak the whole time, just silently staring out the window.

When we pulled into the driveway, we both got out of the car and headed inside. "Do you want to eat anything? Are you still hungry?" I asked her. We'd already eaten dinner. I had a feeling she was going to throw up tonight, per usual.

"No." She said, setting her stuff down. "Okay then why don't you go shower. Then take the first pill."

She nodded, heading upstairs. I heard the shower turn on. I grabbed the stuff and brought it upstairs, along with a bottle of Gatorade.