39

She walked out of the room, leaving her alone in the hospital bed. JJ couldn't stop the tears from falling down her face. She started to cry harder, banging her fist into the bed. Her heart monitor started beeping as she continued to sob.

Hearing the heart rate monitor and the crying, Dr. Montgomery walked back into the room. "JJ? What happened?" She asked.

JJ didn't speak. "Where's Emily?" The doctor asked, looking around the room.

"Emily's gone!" JJ cried, holding her head in her hands. "What do you mean she's gone?" She asked, standing next to the bed.

"I told her to leave" JJ exclaimed. "And then she just left!"

"How dare she!" Dr. Montgomery said sympathetically, with a hint of sarcasm in her voice. "If you didn't want her to leave, why'd you tell her to
go home?" She asked.

"I didn't think she'd actually leave!" JJ said.

——————————————————————————

"I didn't think she'd actually leave!" I heard JJ's voice from the hallway as I walked back into the room.

Dr. Montgomery was standing next to her, and JJ was crying. "Jen why're you crying?" I asked, sitting on the edge of the bed next to her.

"You left!" She cried. I rolled my eyes playfully. "JJ of course I didn't leave. I went and got you a soda from the vending machine." I said, handing her a coke.

"You didn't leave?" JJ sniffed. "You think I'm going to leave you by yourself in the hospital over night just because you're being stubborn?"

"I'm not stubborn!" She said, glaring at me. "Okay baby." I just agreed with her. "I'd like to have an actual conversation about this, but I think it's better to do it when you're not so exhausted and upset."

"I'm not exhausted." She argued. I laughed a little to myself. "Whatever you say Jen."

"I think you got it from here?" Dr. Montgomery asked, looking at me. "We'll be fine, thank you." I smiled as she walked out.

"How about we go to sleep? Even though you're not exhausted." I suggested. "Will you lay with me?" She asked me softly, moving over to the side of the bed.

"Sure baby." I laid down next to her, letting her relax into my arms. "Why don't you close your eyes? Even though you're not tired." I laughed.

"I'm not tired." She mumbled, her eyes already shut. "Not tired at all. And not stubborn either." I chuckled, kissing her forehead. She was already fast asleep.

The next morning JJ was discharged, and we headed home. Her doctor said she should rest for a few days, but then she should be fine.

When we got home, I grabbed our bags and headed inside. JJ hasn't slept very well, and I think she's still pretty tired. She hates hospital beds.

She was also very grumpy, because Dr. Montgomery had given her something this morning that's supposed to help with the nerves. I think it's that, and the lack of sleep which has put her in some weird state.

"JJ do you want to try and get some more sleep?" I asked, setting our bags down and locking the door. "You sleep." She mumbled, laying down on the floor and closing her eyes.

I kneeled down in front of her. "I meant in bed. Not on the floor in the middle of the foyer."

"Blah blah blah." She muttered, rolling over. "Come on, let's go upstairs." I said. "Why are you being mean?" She whined, her eyes noticeably dilated.