Part 28

Nene Kinokuni, her culinary expertise is in all forms of traditional cuisine. When it comes to soba noodles in particular she has no equal, in other words, her specialty. Her family owns a soba noodle shop in Kanda. An old elite establishment, they have meticulously preserved the original edo-soba style of noodle making for generations. Born into such a traditional environment she has had the intricacies of Japanese cuisine from the tea ceremony to full-course meals drilled into her from a young age. A true blue-blooded elite, she is considered the pride of the traditional Japanese culinary world.

Yukihira Soma and Nene Kinokuni's theme for the first bout: Soba

"Can you believe it, Ladies and gentlemen?" The idol Urara laughed condescendingly. "The ingredient for the third card will be Nene Kinokuni's greatest area of expertise, the ingredient to her specialty, Soba noodles!"

"Right from the beginning, Central takes a great leap forward toward victory! Take that you rebel scum!"

"I see miracles are as common as ever," Isshiki comments cheerfully while reading his theme.

Amongst the shock of the crowd, only Yumi is found practically dying from laughter, clinging to the edge of her respective kitchen counter, her lottery paper in hand. "And I thought my luck with themes was bad." She wiped away a stray tear, recalling the theme of sugarcane in her last shokugeki.

"The themes have been decided! Without further ado, ladies and gentlemen it's time this grand battle of taste got started!" Urara raises her hand and announces loudly. "Contestants have two hours to complete their dishes! Let the Regiment de Cuisine begin!"

"What the hell, Soma!" Mito shouts, grabbing onto the bars. "What's with your bad luck at drawing lots, huh?"

"This happened in your fight against Alice too!"

"Just so we are clear, this is not my fault," Nene said, rather embarrassed after having said all the things she did.

"Uh sorry. I didn't aim for it to turn out this way." Soma apologizes.

"I... I do not require your apology." Nene replies.

"Just now, Nene had the cutest expression,." Yumi giggles. "Oh! she's already starting on making her noodles." She inches closer to get a better look, it's not every day one gets to witness a master at work.

The movement of her hands and the balance she holds while mixing her ingredients is truly breathtaking. Gratefulness spoke volumes about the years she put in to perfect her craft. Not one wasted movement.

In Yumi's words... Beautiful.

"It's a shame I won't be facing you, Nene." Yumi grins.

"Yumi," Isshiki called out in a mischievous tone. "I know you love her but don't cheat on me."

Yumi gasps dramatically, "How could you accuse me of something like that? Don't you trust me?"

He responds with a flick of his hand spraying her with water from the sink.

She retaliated by dumping an empty wooden crate on him.

"That's too much." he frowns, lifting the crate from his head and tossing it aside.

She made a face that said 'whoops' and winks.

"YOU TWO STOP FLIRTING AND DO SOMETHING!"

"Geez Alice, how the hell did you smuggle in a megaphone." Yumi frowns, rubbing her ears.

"That's a secret," Alice replies

"Sure," Yumi hums unimpressed.

Even without the shouting from her fallen comrade, watching Nene work her magic on those ingredients, made Yumi want to start right away on her dish. She made quick work on the prep and started mixing a sauce of her creation.