Part 10

"huh? why are you two up so early?" Aiko walked into the kitchen, rubbing her eyes still not fully awake.

"This twirp woke me up and challenged me to a duel," Yumi grumbles pointing to Izumi. "Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"Who are you calling a twirp!!" He shouted from across the counter. "I'm older than you, you should be addressing me as senpai!"

"The name is good enough for someone who can't respect other's sleeping schedules." Yumi rolled her eyes.

"It's only eight, it's not like you slept at 5 and got 3 hours of sleep," Izumi said.

Yumi just glares at him then turns to Aiko. "The audacity this guy has."

"Oh my goodness, you didn't." Izumi sighs. "Do you know how unhealthy that is."

"Aiko are you hearing this? This twirp ridiculed my sleeping patterns yet wakes me up for a cook-off."

"Again with the name-calling!" Izumi yells.

"What's with all the shouting this early in the morning," Fumio enters the kitchen.

"Ugh, I'm too tired for this." Yumi glares. "I'm going back to bed."

"Hey wait, I challenged you to a shokugeki, you took your time to come down here so you may as well go through with it," Izumi said.

"Why do we have to do it now? I'd prefer the evening or better yet next year." Yumi answers while rubbing the sand from her eyes. "Besides who's gonna be the judge, even if both Aiko and Ms. Fumio agree to do it we are still short a person."

"You forgot one more, I'm in the room as well." A voice announced itself out of nowhere.

"Since when??!" Isshiki once again gave Yumi a heart attack.

Isshiki responds with a shrug, "Someone has to tend to the gardens. Besides doesn't your family run a diner? Isn't waking up at early hours kind of your thing?"

"New Flash; just because I help out at the diner doesn't mean I'm a morning person. I only wake up to help out during busy lunch hours." Yumi snapped at them. "I absolutely hate  mornings."

"What about school?" Aiko asked now that she is more aware and following the conversations a bit better. "You'd at least wake up to go to school right?"

"Well I used to, but that caused a lot of problems, I'm basically a natural disaster in the morning. so it's mainly behavior issues," Yumi said. "I take night classes instead, did you guys not notice that all my classes start in the afternoon?"

"Whatever too late now all this screaming woke me right up." She sighs scratching her head. "You said you want a duel right?"

Yumi points at the three bystanders. "You guys will judge, and as judges state the theme you'll like us to prepare."

"Well it is morning," Aiko said deep in thought.

"How 'bout something that goes well with what is normally consumed at this time," Isshiki suggests.

"Alright, I've decided the theme is to make something that goes well with coffee," Ms. Fumio announces . " you two got an hour. Begin immediately."

"Hey Twirp, I'll make you pay for waking me up at such an ungodly hour, I'm not going to hold back at all." She shouts at Izumi while grabbing her materials. Yumi currently has too much pent up anger and doesn't really know what to do with her sinister nature.

"That's what I want to hear, and quit calling me that. I have a name you know." He shouts back preheating the oven.

Yumi in response pulls off the white hair tie on her wrist to put up her hair.
"Make me." She threatens.

**************

"I can't say I am particularly surprised by the result, but I really thought victory was mine." Izumi sighs helping himself to another bite of Yumi's dish. "That's the undefeated champion for you."

"Please stop calling me that." Yumi frown at the name. "I hate that title." 

She lifts a finger for every reason. "First of all, I'm not a robot. So I make mistakes. Two, I'm not 'undefeated since I clearly lost to 'that." Yumi said pointing at Isshiki, he looks mildly offended. "and three, the score is 2-1. If it's not an overwhelming victory I refuse to be called by that title."

Yumi glanced at Aiko, "I'm not petty but I do want to know the reason why you chose his dish over mine." Ok maybe she is a little petty, but in her defense, she is still grumpy from the lack of sleep.

"I purposely made biscuits that are chocolate flavored because I knew Aiko likes anything chocolate," Izumi explains before Aiko can even speak, she doesn't seem bothered by it in the least.

"Fair enough." Yumi shrugs.

"but what is with your crazy ideas." 

"Chocolate may be universal. But don't you know?" Yumi smirks. "Rice goes with everything."

...

***********