Calm Before the Storm

"Kai..."

Soobin desperately reaches out for anything as his dear friend gets farther and farther away from him.

"Kai!"

But he's too late, the shock of these words froze his feet just a second too long and his best friend already turned the corner and Soobin hears the door close. Maybe, no, he could have stopped him, he was more than capable to do so. But the cold eyes and distant voice Kai used casted an ocean between them, and Soobin didn't have a boat.

"Soobin."

The young pureblood's eyes regain focus to find his older brother in front of him.

"Hyung...Kai-"

"I know. I know and I'm sorry, but  this cannot distract you right now. We have to go."

Namjoons heart beats for the pain in his dear younger brother's eyes, but they don't have the luxury of working through and dealing with this properly right now. And, he doesn't need the ability to read minds to know just what his brother is thinking.

"No, you can't go after him, this cannot wait. We all have our roles to play, Soobin."

Namjoon knows his younger brother understands as he watches the emotion drain from his face. God, the older one thinks, this is so not healthy or fair to him... I wish it didn't have to be this way, but it is.

"Soobin," shit, how do I say this without sounding like an asshole... " I'm sorry, but, is there anyone who you can call who can be here before the soirée begins?"

Soobin's face scrunches in astonishment but Namjoon beats him to speak, "We need to keep up appearances and you're down a man. We, especially now, cannot afford to look weak in any way."

Soobin, again, understands this hard truth then lets out a long sigh and a name appears in his head.

"Yeah, I might know someone who I can call."

———

It's been about thirty minutes since the meeting started and with nothing else to do, the attendees of those in power mingle amongst one another.

Taehyun weaves through clusters of people then comes to a halt at the notice of a certain pair of eyes on him and smiles in the familiar gaze. Who needs punch anyways, and the vampire changes his path to the direction of a handsome young man in a soft blue-gray colored suit with a matching colored bow tie.

"You look nice" Taehyun compliments. "...You too" Beomgyu returns, color brightening his cheeks as he feels the approaching vampire's eyes look him up and down. Taehyun comes to a stop then leans on one hip with a hand in his pocket wearing a sly smirk on his face. Ever since the two got together, Beomgyu noticed a shift in Taehyun, especially when it was just the two of them. It's like the vampire's modest demeanor would suddenly switch off then be replaced with a more confident, dominant one. Don't misunderstand, for Beomgyu is not one to complain. If anything, he finds this duality all the more compelling and has him wondering what more is there to learn in the depths of Taehyun's heart and mind.

"I see you're wearing the suit I got you" the vampire observes pleasantly.

Bemgyu's moment of shyness passes and the hunter straightens up, jerking his head away from the other in a pout. "Maybe I shouldn't have if I knew we'd basically be matching."

Taehyun innocently looks down at his soft periwinkle suit. "But I'm wearing a tie," he exclaims, "and the color is different, too."

"Uh, w-well! They're both..." Beomgyu's mouth gapes open and close like a fish, quickly looking between the suits, and Taehyun patiently waits for him to speak.