Sixty

At her company office, Magenta sits at her desk not doing an ounce of work

At her company office, Magenta sits at her desk not doing an ounce of work. Her mind's in a different world. Coming back from a weekend where you went out of town, it's always hard to get back to work. It doesn't help there's so much going on.

Gen taps her pen staring at the tv hanging on her wall that shouldn't even be on. The news flashes a title that says, Pregnant mother killed in drive-by shooting. With a sigh she quickly grabs the remote turning it off. She only watches the news to be updated with the world, but it's so morbid.

She gets back to work going through her emails when one in particular sticks out. It's a message to confirm she has an appointment tomorrow with all the information she needs. Clicking her tongue, she contemplates the what if's and maybe so's.

Magenta's grandmother always told her that when you bring a child into the world, you have to be okay with raising them alone. Married, in love, or not. You can choose the best person possible to create life with, but life's unpredictable. If you're not ready or okay with being a single parent, you don't need to have that child.

Some men don't leave by choice. And some women end up dying during childbirth. People get killed. People go to prison; guilty or innocent. The list goes on. Are you strong enough to do it by yourself? Would you want to?

The truth is Magenta doesn't feel ready. She's still trying to heal certain traumas. She doesn't want to put her child through anything damaging just because she isn't healed. That's on top of not feeling their world is safe enough to bring a new life into it.