Forty-Nine

November, 2022

November, 2022

Driving towards Magenta's house, Genesis tries to focus on the music playing. His new job title requires listening to the artists signed to the label even if he rather not be. The current song playing pauses due to his phone beginning to ring. Seeing it's Kross' mom, he huffs but still answers.

"Hey, how are you?" He asks already knowing what this call will be about.

It's been six months since Kross died. Gee didn't attend the funeral. He didn't shed one tear about it despite how close they once were either. Too much transpired in that last year. You don't cry over a dead man who wanted to see you in the same predicament; a casket and six-feet under.

"Hey, Genesis. I could be better. I know you're probably busy, so I won't hold you up too long and get straight to it. I'm kinda in a financial bind right now. I was wondering if I can borrow some money. I promise I'll pay you back," she already starts.

Gee sighs because this isn't the first time she's called needing money. And he's tired now.

"No disrespect, Ms. Shay, but I've done all I can do. I gave you the money Kross was owed for selling our management company, despite the fact he stole from several artists. I helped you pay your rent a few times since he died. You spent all that money from the business already? That was a lot of money."