If looks could kill

I swallow hard, El has told me many things about this room. Many of them are not so pleasant.

Peter: "Don't worry, I'll be in there with you"

We push through the doors. All eyes are on me. All the children stop what they're doing and stare at me, then they begin whispering to each other.

Suddenly Brenner walks in.

Brenner: "line up children"

Children: "yes Papa"

Everyone seems to have a designated spot because they don't just line up, they go to a certain part of the line. It must be number order.

Brenner: "As you all have probably guessed we have a new sister joining us".

They turn their heads to look at me. I start fiddling with my fingers Again.

Brenner: "This is 017, I hope you all treat her with the same amount of respect as you treat me and your siblings".

I cringe at that. He wants to make this seem like a big happy family, but it's far from that.

The children begin whispering to each other again saying things like "why hasn't her hair been cut?", "why is she in a wheelchair?" "Did she get punishment?"

Brenner: "Silence children."

They all reply with "Yes Papa". I can already tell a group of them don't like me as they chuckle, whisper, and make snarky comments to each other about me. I just roll my eyes and ignore them. Brenner excuses them and they go back to what they were originally doing. He squats down in front of me.

Brenner: " welcome to the rainbow room 017, I hope you find it fun here. Many of your siblings find it very enjoyable"

I just glare at him. He looks at Peter then back at me. My heart stops for a second. Why did he look at Peter like that? What's he going to do to him?

Brenner: "Peter come with me"

I turn to look at him, fear plastered on my face. He gives me a half smile and a reassuring nod. I don't like where this is going. I don't want him to get hurt. He's been so nice to me. Just as I'm about to wheel after him the cora doors slam shut and I'm left in a steady stream of panic and worry.

I slowly wheel my way around to see all eyes once again on me. I bite my bottom lip, as they're all staring I analyze all of them. Their appearance, the way they stand, their facial expressions, what activity they're doing. I'm sure I'll memorize each of their numbers but for now I want to know as much as I can. I notice guards standing at each corner of the room. These guards are bigger, bulkyer, meaner. Their in a room full of kids with powers that can kill. Every kid in here could potentially be a threat. Well, almost every kid. I look down at my legs. I can most likely stand on my own now but it might take some adjusting because my muscles are still weak from the shock collar. Most of the children have already went back to what they were doing, however 4 of them are huddled in a group in the back corner still glaring at me.

I wheel my way over to some sort of chip game. The board has a bunch of tacks on the inside that are being protected by a glass shield and the bottom has open wooden slots, each with a number. I take the chip and put it at the top, before I drop it i calculate all the possible spots it could land depending on where I drop it from. My eyes slowly follow my way down the board as I continue to analyze where the chip would fall. I tape on the glass and notice that some of the tacks are looser than the others. Then my calculations change and the possibilities also narrow down to one slot. I point my finger to slot number 4. I drop the chip from where I assume it will land. And just as I predicted, the chip lands in slot number 4. I can hear that group of kids whispering about me again. I hold the chip above the board again, this time in a different spot, I do my calculations and predict that it will land in slot 7. I drop the chip and my eyes follow as it hits each tack and gets closer and closer to the bottom. Suddenly it stops mid-way. I pause and stare at it. Then it moves directions and falls in slot 6.

No, that can't be right?

I hear laughing behind me and turn to see a bloody nosed child smile at me and high-fiving the others. I glare at them in annoyance. I take the chip in my hand and begin looking around the room. I analyze the chip, what it's made out of, I analyze the wall, the floor, the blocks some of the other kids are playing with. Then I begin pin pointing the angles it would take for this chip to make its way across the room if it were to hit each wall at a 45 degree angle. I smile. I take the chip in my hand. Bend my wrist to the left and fling the chip to the wall to my right. All the kids look up from the sudden noise. The guards are now on high alert. The chip bounces from the right wall, hits the left wall, bounces on a pile of foam bricks that a kid was playing with, and flies straight into the bloody nose child's face. It hits his face with a thud and he falls over from the force of the chip. I grin in satisfaction. The other three children help him up. He looks at me and yells

"FREAK, ILL KILL YOU"

I give him a humorous look. All these kids have powers that can kill, yet I'm the freak. Interesting how logic works here.

One of the other children step forward

Child: " ONCE PAPA COMES BACK YOUR GOING STRAIGHT BACK TO THE PUNISHMENT ROOM, HE DOESN'T TAKE TOO KINDLY TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU".

"Says the ones threatening to kill me" I scoff.

Suddenly the door bursts open. My head spins around in hope to see Peter. My face changes from hopeful to disappointed. It's just Dr. Brenner. But that still leaves a question. Where is Peter?

Brenner: "WHAT'S GOING ON IN HERE?!"

Immediately the group of kids run up to him. The kid I hit the chip with stumbling a little behind as his nose continues to bleed even more then before.

The kids point their fingers at me.

Child: "017 DID IT, SHE USED HER POWERS AND CHUCKED SOMETHING AT 002's FACE!"

I smirk, she made the mistake of saying I used my powers, already I'm off the hook. I calmly wheel my way over to the chip board and continue playing with it.

Brenner looks at me then back at the kid.

Brenner:" 017 doesn't have any powers".

I can already picture the children's shocked faces

"But-"

Brenner: "Corner"

Kids: "But she-"

Brenner: "CORNER!!"

I turn to look at all four standing in the corner with their heads down. Brenner looks at me, then them, then walks out the door.

I look back at the group of kids as they stare me down.

If looks could kill.