It's Not Pretty

Brenner: "you may use the skateboard down this hallway and this hallway only. Peter has volunteered to watch over you while your out. Not at any point should you be out of sight from this room. Do I make myself clear 017?".

"Yes Papa" I nod.

I smile and roll my skateboard down the hall, hopping on.

Already the memories of my time with Max flow back to me.

I never realized how much I appreciated the time we spent together practicing until it was gone.

I smile as the breeze causes my hair to flow behind me.

This is the closest moment to freedom I've felt since I got here.

Peter: "017!"

I turn to look at him running behind me

"Wha-"

I then slam into an opening door. Hitting my knee against the hard metal.

I stumble back and the embrace of gentle hands are felt catching me before I hit the ground.

I was so deep in thought of my forgotten memories that I didn't even notice someone walking out the door.

I look up to see one of the nurses exit the room.

Nurse: "OH MY, SORRY SWEET HEART, ARE YOU OK?!"

she bends down and reaches for my bruised knee"

Peter reaches over, blocking the nurse's  hand from touching me.

I look back at him, his eyes staring daggering into the nurses.

I hear her breath hitch and she quickly stands up and continues down the hall.

What was that about? I wonder.

Peter: "Are you alright?"

I smile at his kindness.

"Yeah I'm alright, thanks for catching me"

Peter: "Of course" he smiles back.

I get up, picking up my skateboard.

Just as I'm about to take off again the opposite way Peter puts his hand on my shoulder.

Peter: "Maybe I should wait on the other end, and make sure nobody pops out unexpectedly again".

I smile and nod

"Good idea".

He makes his way to the end of the hall, checking each door on the way to make sure nobody will pop out anytime soon.

I smile, he's so considerate.

Finally he stops at the end of the hall by the rainbow room door.

He put his arms behind his back and give a smile and nod letting me know the coast is clear.

Since this hallway is so long I kick off with full speed.

As I get closer and closer to the rainbow room, I notice a very familiar red car come rolling out of the room.

It slips right through Peters feet.

Well fuck.

My wheels hit the car and I get flung  forward off my board.

Right.

On top.

Of Peter.

The force of impact caused him to fall backwards, tumbling through the cora doors.