Examination Room

I stare back at him, his blue eyes are staring daggers into mine. Just as I was about to say something Brenner walks In.

Brenner: "good she's awake, Peter tell the guards to turn the cameras back on"

Peters gaze on me breaks as he is now looking at Brenner

He gives a quick nod putting his arms behind his back as he walks down the hall.

A part of me is glad that Peter is gone, if I were to tell him it would only lead to more trouble for me.

Brenner takes a seat on my bed, he takes my hand in his and gives me a look of concern.

Don't look at me like you care, you sick bastard. I keep my face looking hurt so he doesn't get suspicious.

Brenner: "017, can you tell me what happened before I found you".

I knew he was going to ask me this, but I still couldn't think of a good enough response. I think back to the way Peter looked at me when he asked me the same question. There was almost something frightening about his gaze, like if I looked any longer I would turn to stone.

"017?'

I'm snapped back to reality.

"I don't know Papa... I don't ... I don't remember".

My gaze lowers to the floor as I see two pairs of black shoes by the doorway.
I look up to see Peter staring off into space with that same dim look in his eyes. He notices me starting and looks at me, his mere gaze makes my blood run cold. It makes me wonder what put that look on his face.

Brenner:" very well 017, thank you for trying".

He stands up and sees Peter, then he glances up at the cameras as if he's making sure he did his job. He gives a slight nod to him and walks out.

I look at Peter but he won't look at me. Did I do something wrong?

"Pete-"

He quickly puts a finger over his mouth to shush me, then he tilts his head towards the cameras that are now on.

Shit, how could I be so careless. I almost got us both in trouble, again.

Then I remember the last time I saw Peter get into trouble.

No.. I can't keep talking to him like this, I don't want to put him through that again. He notices my saddened eyes and his expression goes soft. I look up to see his head tilt towards the direction of the rainbow room.

I'm far too exhausted to go back there right now. I turn my head up to the clock.

6:03

Peter is now standing by the bedside.

I ask him what time we're scheduled to go to sleep.

Peter:" Exactly 7:30. You've still got time if you wanna hang out with the others"

No, Anything but that. The last thing I want to do is go back in that room and have people whispering about me and tremble at the sight of me.

"No.. I think.. I think I'll just stay here, is that alright?"

I look up at Peter to see him give me a look that says "are you sure?".  He doesn't have to say anything, I give him a reassuring nod. He gives me another one of his sincere smiles.

Every part of me wants to beg him to stay. I just want someone to talk to,  to keep me company. Without realizing it I reach for his hand as he walks away. He notices and glances down at me.

I quickly release his hand.

"Sorry".

I look away in embarrassment. His gaze is still on me. My face heats up as I feel his eyes trying to explore any sign of emotion I might be giving off. 

He kneels down and takes my hand in his

Peter: " There's something you want to ask me isn't there"

How could he tell? Did my face give it away or does he just have a sense for this kind of stuff.

He lifts my chin up softly with his hand

Peter: "hm?"

"Stay".

The word comes out of me like it's nothing. As if it had no meaning, as if it was just another breath of air.

He smiles at me as he watches the way my eyes explore his expressions.

Look at me. Just seconds ago I was telling myself that I should stop talking to him so he doesn't get into trouble. And here I am asking him to stay as if that won't have any consequences.

Reality starts to set in again and I begin to look over the outcomes of this situation if it were to take place.

1)  We both get punished
2) were never allowed to interact or see each other again
3) I'm banished to another part of the lab where I can't communicate with anyone other than Dr. Brenner
4) something much worse then all the other 3 options happen

I begin to bite my bottom lip and the anxiety of thinking of what could happen sets in.

"You know what, I think I'm just going to go to bed, I'm pretty exhausted, thank u for watching over me, I appreciate it but I want to be alone for now".

The last part kills me to say because it's that exact opposite of what I want.

He gives me an unconvinced look.

He's about to say something when I turn over to shut him up, I snuggle into what little bedding I have and pretend to try and fall asleep.

Peter stays In the room a little longer still unsure, then after a while his footsteps disappear down the hall.

I'm left in my dark room, alone and miserable.

I cried myself asleep that night, wishing I was back home with all the people that I care about.

(Time skip)

I woke up to the sound of the door clicking open.

I check the time.

5:00

"Good morning sleepyhead".

I look over to see Peter.

He's standing in the doorway with his hands folded neatly in front of him. He gives me his classic smile.

I notice that my body no longer hurts, whatever Brenner gave me must have really worked.

I'm still a little sore but my body isn't throbbing in pain anymore and my headache is gone.

I slowly slip out of bed.

I was actually able to sleep last night, I wonder if it's because of that drug.

As I'm about to walk out Peter places his arm against the doorway blocking me in.

I look up at him.

Peter: "follow me"

He turns around putting his hands behind his back and I follow him down the hall.

(Time skip)

I'm standing in front of a new door. Even though every door and room looks the same, the small black label on the door makes me realize that this is only the beginning of a long journey of pain, boredom, and miserable loneliness.

Peter puts his hand on my shoulder as if to let me know he's still there.

I take a deep breath and enter the door that reads

Examination Room