Smoldering Flames

No One's POV

It is currently the next day and Izuku and Akira walking into the hospital lobby with their costume cases and saw that one the television, news reporters were talking about how the League of Villains attacked Chisaki during his transport, as well as a pro hero being killed by them in the process.

Recovery Girl: This is all they've been reporting since yesterday.

Izuku and Akira both looked at the tv with fearful and shocked expressions.

Aizawa: It isn't something you both should feel responsible for. You don't have to worry about it.

Izuku: But...

Aizawa: For now, the students are to return to school. They want to monitor Togata a little longer, but the other students have been completely healed by Recovery Girl. They should be here soon.

Recovery Girl: I'll stay a little longer to heal a few more of the patients here.

Izuku: Can't we stay, too, until Eri wakes up?

Akira: Yeah, I was about to ask that, as well.

Aizawa: Even if you two stay, the situation won't change. All we can do is leave Eri to the doctors.

Akira and Izuku both looked down and breathed a heavy sigh.

Izuku: I know, but...

Akira: Still...

Aizawa: You two...

Izuku: Before I leave, I'm going to go see Togata. Please watch my stuff for me!

Akira: I'm going, too!

Izuku left his stuff while Akira was still carrying his. As soon as they reached Mirio's hospital room, Izuku hesitated to knock at first. Just then, Akira put his hand on Izuku's shoulder. Izuku looked at Akira as he nodded at Izuku for reassurance. Izuku nodded back as he knocked on the door.

Izuku: It's Midoriya.

Akira: Ryugasaki, too.

Izuku: Excuse us.

Once they entered, they see Mirio, who is surprisingly energetic despite what happened the other day.

Mirio: Hey, you two! 'Morning, Midoriya! Ryugasaki! It looks like I'm stuck here another day so they can monitor me! Even though I'm this energetic! Damn it!

Izuku: Togata...

Akira: How are you acting like this? Didn't you--

Mirio: I know. I've lost my Quirk, and my mentor passed away. I shouldn't be in a laughing state of mind. But that's why. Nighteye wasn't really that way with you two, but when he was with me, he actually smiled a lot. 

Akira then though back on Nighteye's final words, and looked down as his hair casted a shadow over his eyes.

Mirio: That's why I'm not going to cry. Because I'm going to be a fine hero someday. If I look gloomy, then Eri will probably also feel bad.

Akira: But, still... I could've saved you from that Quirk destroying bullet... If you hadn't gotten in front of me that day, then...

Mirio: Then you would've lost your Quirk and be in the same situation as me.

Akira looked up and back at Mirio, with a sad expression still on his face.

Mirio: Sure, I would've still had my Quirk, but what about you? I appreciate your selflessness, but think about your future as a hero, too.

Akira: R-Right...

Izuku: Even when your Quirk was taken away, you and Akira still kept protecting Eri, didn't you? Compared to that, I was supposed to protect Eri, but I needed her help, and Mr. Aizawa's... If you'd been the successor... then Nighteye might... And All Might's future, too...!