Never Doubted You For A Second .15

Valerie

After weeks of driving outside the city and around the town it comes time for me to take my drivers license test. I go a little outside of Chicago to a place where taking the test will be a lot easier. I ace the written exam easy, schooling was a strong suite of mine after all. Now here comes the hard part of not letting my nerves get to me. Patrick says I'm a great driver and should pass with no problems. But he also over estimates me so I take what he says with a grain of salt.

"You got this" he reassures me. "It's like riding a bike."

I just stare at him as he starts to squint. "You don't know how to ride a bike, do you" he asks.

"Nope" I shake my head.

"That's okay. One step at a time, we'll learn that next" he promises.

"Do I really need to know how to ride a bike if I'm getting my drivers license" I ask.

"No but it's the principle of the thing. You getting to try things and decide for yourself if you want to stick with it" he explains.

"Well thank you. I just hope I get through this little endeavor okay" I sigh.

He reaches over and grabs my hand before squeezing it tight. It was for simple reassurance and it did just that. I wouldn't be here without him, would have spent my whole life on the sidewalk never being able to see for myself what is beyond where my feet on their own can lead me.

"You can do this. I have all the faith in the world that you will be driving out of here today and into a great future" he assures me.

He lifts my hand before bringing it up to his lips. His eyes meet mine and stay there as he placed a soft kiss on the back of my hand. I wanted to retract my hand to save the both of us from the consequences we no doubt will have to deal with at some point. But instead I let my hand go limp in his hands until his lips meet my skin. There was a huge chill down my spine as our glance never breaks. His lips hung on my skin making my knees weak.

Eventually he lets my hand go and now I really was nervous. Between the butterflies and the nervous vomit in my stomach I was in for a long day.

I hop in Patrick's car to wait for the driving instructor to finish up a previous test. Patrick was nice enough to let me use it though I'm not sure what to do after. Do I get a car? Do I just have the license just in case. Who knows? At least I'll have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Eventually the driving instructor comes over and asks to hear the horn and to turn on the turn signals and that good stuff. Once he hops in we put on the seat belt and he asks a few questions. But one in particular caught me off guard.

"So what made you want to get your license after all this time" he asks me.

I pause for a moment because the reasoning was kind of crazy. But it made sense to me and I guess that's good enough.

"Oh. Well my... my friend insisted he would teach me to drive so I can go places. When he found out I never learned he made it his mission to teach me. Trusted me enough to learn by his side and not kill the both of us. I've been confined to where I am living for most my life, and there's so many places I want to go. I never really thought about how the only way I can get there might be if I can drive, but he had a point. If I ever wanted to go somewhere this is the start. Don't think he would let me tell him no anyway. He is a popular guy and he spent so much of his precious time teaching me how to drive. He's been patient and a great teacher, made it super easy on me. Figured it was time to take the test and drive him around for once. Go someplace that neither of us have gone, learn something new" I shrug.

"That's really cool. Usually people your age feel pressure to get their license and they usually fail because they feel the need to pass. Hopefully you'll get it first try you and your... friend... can go wherever you would like" he says.

I don't like the way he said friend.

After about 15 minutes the test was done and I pass with flying colors. Not a single mark on the test. So they take me to get my picture taken and hand me a temporary license. I try to hide my excitement but it was going to be hard.

As soon as I get outside Patrick runs up to me. He doesn't hesitate to wrap his arms around my waist and pick me up. We spin around a few times before he sets me back on my feet. The smile on his face was bigger than I've ever seen it. Was he proud? Was he excited? I couldn't make out the reason for this outburst of emotion.

"I knew you could do it! Never doubted you for a second" he insists.

"I couldn't do it without you. Honestly. I never even thought about driving and now, thanks to you, I have a little bit more freedom. I can go places I've seen only on tv and do things I only dreamed of. Seriously, thank you" I sigh.

"It was my pleasure. And I have to thank you for letting me teach. It's been a lot of fun and I am so proud of you" he claims.

"So what now" I wonder.

"We go to Washington. That was the deal right" he asks.

"You remember that" I ask.

"Of course. I promised you that if you did this we will drive out. So let's look at some dates and places to stay. We can spend a week there looking around, driving to the mountains" he insists.

"You don't have to" I assure him.

"But I want to, truly. Even if you didn't pass I would take you. I've never been and I truly enjoy spending time with you. Of course only if you still wanted to go" he explains.

"I do! I really really do" I assure him making him smile.

"Perfect. Let's go figure this out" he says.

So I drive us back to his place and we plan a trip. I let him figure out everything for I am no vacation guru. I'm not even sure if this trip was a good idea, I certainly had my doubts. But he hasn't done wrong by me yet so I trust him with this.