Sunshine .21

Valerie

It was a great rip to the mountains but reality sets in and we make it back to Chicago. I had work and Patrick said he had to train or something? If he's been playing his whole life I don't know why he has to train for but I don't understand a lot about hockey. I'm sure I will at one point but for now I just know there's skates ice and a whole lot of pent up anger.

I clock out for the night and start my walk back to my place. Once my hands reach in my pocket I pull out a little black box. I got Patrick something while we were in Washington and I didn't know how to give it to him. Maybe he thought it was stupid or that he couldn't wear it? Maybe he won't even remember this trip so the gift wouldn't mean much in the end.

But to me it will. I'll never forget the moments we shared watching the sun rise from high above the ground or the crazy things that happened along the way. I was just hoping he felt the same.

So before I get home after work I decide to turn around and go back to his place. If he was there I would give him the gift if not I'll keep it a little while longer. It's not the end of the world but if I could get this off my chest that would be great.

Once I arrive at his place I put in the code he gave me and let myself up. I knock and a few moments later a woman answers the door. She was tall with long blonde hair and pretty blue eyes. She could be a model for sure.

Immediately I feel intimidated and a little confused. We had been hanging out for so long I figured if he had a fling or something I would know about it. But maybe it's something new?

"Oh! Are you Valerie" she squeals. A bit too bubble for my taste.

"Uh yeah, I am" I admit.

"Patrick has told me so much about you! Come in come in" she says as she grabs my hand.

I get pulled into his apartment where I am met with a few more people. Really big dudes and really beautiful women to be exact. The room falls silent as everyone's eyes fall on me. I felt like I was in that dream when you're at school with no pants on.

"Everyone this is Valerie. Val this is the crew. You have Duncan and Alex, Corey and Kristy, then over there is my boyfriend Jonathan and I'm Kiley" the woman explains.

I don't move as I just stand there. I should know who these people are but I don't. Patrick has said their names before but I didn't think I would actually have to interact with them.

"Val" a familiar voice says and I turn around. I see Patrick pop out of his bedroom before coming over.

"Patrick" I smile as he reaches me.

Without hesitation he pulls me into a hug and I squeeze him tight. I haven't seen him since we got back from vacation, and as much as I hate to admit it I really missed him. He smelled like fresh rain and I felt at home in his arms. It was so good to see him again.

"What are you doing here" he whispers.

"I have something for you" I say.

He excuses us as we head out to the patio at his apartment. He closes the blinds and shuts the door before turning to me.

"If I knew you were coming I would have given them a heads up. I hope they weren't too much for you" he starts.

"Kiley was a little abrasive, but I can tell it came from a good place. And she seemed sincere so it wasn't too awkward" I nod.

"Good. They can be a lot sometimes. Most of the time, actually. But they are good people, I promise you that" he says.

"I trust you" I assure him.

"Good" he sighs.

I reach in my pocket and feel the box in my hand. I debate on leaving it in there. But it did cost me a good chunk of my paycheck and it was made for him so he might as well have it.

"Here" I say shoving the box in his face. He looks at me weird before taking the box.

"What is this for" he wonders.

"I got you something from Washington. It took me a while to get it made but I think it turned out alright. You didn't ask for this so I'm not sure you would like it. But I thought... maybe you would" I shrug.

He doesn't say anything as he opens the box. Inside was a ring that was two different colors. The bottom of the ring was the mountains carved out of wood. The top part of the ring was epoxy with pieces of the soil from the mountains where we watched the sun rise. They made these at the bottom of the mountains but each one was hand made special. You bring the soil and everything. I got both of our initials engraved in the inside with the date we reached the top so he wouldn't forget. I hope he doesn't forget.

"Valerie" he smiles as big as ever. "This is so beautiful and thoughtful. I don't even know what to say."

"I figured you showed me a good time and the least I could do was give you something to remind you of it" I explain.

"I could never forget our time together. Out of the championships and the mvps, I never felt as high as I did atop that mountain with you" he claims.

My cheeks warm up as my eyes turn to my shoes. I try to hide the smile but it was impossible at this point.

"I uh- I got you something too" he stutters.

He pulls out a red box and nearly drops it he seemed so nervous. Finally he gets the box to me. Looks like I wasn't the only one freaking out about giving a gift.

"I know nothing will replace the necklace your grandma gave you. But I figured this could help" he starts.

I get the box open and see a new necklace in there. It was almost identical to the one my grandma gave me. The gold sun was stunning in the light and this one had a few diamonds in it. I could only imagine what it cost him. I've learned by now not to question it he will never tell me.

The tears threaten to fall but I push them back. My eyes meet his as he just watches me, like he's never seen me before.

"It's beautiful" I whisper.

"Turn it over" he tells me.

I flip the necklace over and see words in the back. It said "you are my sunshine" which made me even more emotional.

"Pat" I gasp.

"You never call me that" he teases.

"I'm sorry" I apologize.

"Don't be. I like it. A lot" he claims.

He comes over and gets the necklace out of the box. He puts it on for me and I look down. It was stunning, to say the least. He puts his ring on and we admire our work.

"Thank you" I say softly.

He reaches over and places his finger under my chin. I feel my head turn up until my eyes meet his.

"No Val, thank you. For a beautiful trip and a beautiful gift" he whispers as he inches closer.

My breath gets caught in my throat as my eyes get lost in his. I don't move as I let him do what he likes.

Then suddenly there's a huge crash inside the apartment.

"Don't worry Pat! Everything is a-okay" a man's voice rings out.

"I'm gonna kill them" Patrick claims as he steps away. "Would you like to join us? We're about to go to dinner" he offers.

"I don't know if I'm up for social interaction" I admit. It's been a long day and I haven't been home since early this morning.

"How about we make a safe word? If you say it I will get you home" he offers.

"And what would our safe word be" I wonder.

He looks at my necklace before smiling up at me.

"How about sunshine" he says and I smile.

"Sunshine it is" I nod.